PSU - Have I made a mistake

Associate
Hi All,

Just building a new PC and I think I may have made a mistake ( famous last words)

I have a ASUS P6T LGA1366
i7 920 DO

and have the corsair dominator 1866 ram ( 6gb)

OCZ gamexstream 850W SLi ready

Coolit ALC

and nvidia 9500 gt 1gb ( pci e 2.0 x16) - This is due to be replaced but works in my other system so keeping until I can get a new nvidia dx11..

Did have drives and everything plugged in but when I booted up system would not seem to do anything ..all the fans kicked into life and the system would just sit there ( no beebs or anything)

Monitor does not even come off standby.

so have stripped out drives and just using bare min...

still no joy...

on the mobo it says EATX12v (8 pin connector but first 4 pins had a black cap over)

on the psu I have 2 cables cpu1 and cpu2 ....cpu1 cable corresponds ..to the socket but cpu2 does not.....

(cpu 2 will go in ..but 1 of the pins expects a square and the plug as none square)

have I bought the wrong psu?

Associate
Your PSU should have a cable with a 20pin male connection with a 4pin connection hanging off the same cable or hinged off the 20pin, and a seperate 4+4 8pin connection.

You need to connect both the 24 pin and 8 pin to the motherboard. I've never dealt with that mobo, so read the manual or wait for someone on here who has, but I'm pretty sure that's your issue.

Is there a warning attached to one of the 4 pin male connections?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
HI Kcer 20 + 4 pin is fine

the 4x4 appears to be ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V so assume i either need a convertor or return the PSU ..as i say fits and assume it is in right place but just wrong shape...and this does not marry up with the psu manual ..as it shows an 8 pin connector and the pins look different (i.e square were should be a shaved

no warning ...manual does not say much ...just says 8 pin ...pug it in...

have spoken with tech support and they said if it goes in....and the cables are the same way as the connector that fits...then it should be fine...will try now :)
cheers

Associate
OP
Well not truelly happy with the answer the tech gave..

but cpu1 fit only one way (i.e 2 pins square and 2 none square , which were diaganol to each other) the cpu2 plug was all none square ....

So was told that to plug cpu1 in and then plug cpu2 in and this should follow the same direction ( i.e locking catch ) ...so as long as I was not forcing it should be ok....

Was told that has a result of the advice ..if anything did go pop ..they would replace the now damaged goods...

so now works but I assume OCZ have done this on the psu so that it can be used for other purposes...which is fine but the manual gives you nothing..

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom