Vista to W7 - Fresh install or upgrade in situ?

Associate
Hi All,

Got Windows 7 Ultimate on order. Currently running Vista Ultimate. Are there any utilities to backup email/account stuff before an upgrade?

Am I better to reformat (safer/less problems) and do a completely clean install or is W7 okay to upgrade my in place Vista.

Gonna use my Vista then on my backup PC to dual boot Vista & Ubuntu.

Soldato
Definately fresh install, it's nice to know that you've cleared out the HDD and only have the garbage that the current version will have building up on it rather than years of Vista/XP OS files lying around too.

Also means a cleaner registry which is never a bad thing.

Soldato
A fresh install is ALWAYS preferable to an upgrade. That said, Vista to 7 is your best chance yet of a smooth change over.

I have done two upgrades which was Vista x64 HP and x86 to Win7 x64/x86 Ultimate RTM, in both cases no issues and very smooth upgrade.

I'll be surprised if you get any issues,just use the Win7 beta software compatibility checker option on installation which tells you which software etc may cause any issues with upgrades ,I had two on my Dell laptop I had to uninstall,however Win7 installed a newer version after installation,the other was a pointless modem diagnostic tool from Dell that I did not really need.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best to do a fresh. But i guess depending on how long you have had Vista installed, like a few weeks (not likely im guessing), then an upgrade should be ok since you won't have much installed.

A fresh install but before you wipe out you current install, use the files and settings transfer wizard to save you loads of time and hassle later. Simply save to file to another hard drive. I did and all my save games were and my gadgets, outlook settings, farourites etc, mine ended up being 110gb in size!

Soldato
Best to do a fresh. But i guess depending on how long you have had Vista installed, like a few weeks (not likely im guessing), then an upgrade should be ok since you won't have much installed.

One of my Vista upgrades to Win7 was a Vista install from Jan 2007,Vista to Win7 is less hassle then XP to Win7 upgrade,btw I had 15+ games installed various other programs and its running like a kitten after the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom