Lol, noob!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
<--- Noob.

I noobed myself today.

I salvaged 2 drives from old laptops (IDE) little realising that the connectors were just adapters Dell use to convert pins to PCB style connectors...so all night I spend hours scouring the net looking for the right type of drive because I don't know WTF about laptop drives, I'm a desktop person :p

So anyway, I post a request on MM for such a drive and today come across an eBay auction where the seller says some makers user adapters that you just pull off....so I pull out my salvaged drives and have a look and give the connector a pull....

facepalmme.jpg

When did you last noob yourself?

Associate
I spent a good 20 minutes or so the other week wondering why, when in game, only some sounds were playing. IE talking but not gunfire etc. Turns out I'd set the sound to 5.1 not 2.1

Not a major issue but annoying and noobish all the same.

Soldato
Lol noob!!!1111ONEZ0RZ :D

...ahem

I can't remember the last time I really noobed myself tbh, it does happen from time to time though.

Associate
I spent a few hours last week building a computer for a friend, made sure all the parts were working etc and put them in the case. Spent a good hour doing some wire management aswell and at the end i was bloody happy with the new build. Came to switch it on, nothing came on the screen, didnt know what was wrong so i went through all the diagnostic steps, taking out ram etc, running on basics and nothing worked. Came back an hour later to find out i didnt plug the monitor in! everrything worked fine after that.

Associate
haha mine was when putting the top fans on my cm690, i was convinced they went on top under the plastic as oppose to in the actual case next to the motherboard. So i sat there chipping away at plastic with the right hump then someone on here said don't they go on the other side? Seriously noobed myself that day.

Soldato
lol. When I put my first rig together I got some UV reactive cabling and shrink wrap for the PSU cables. Spent hours trying to get the stuff over the connectors on the end. Did it eventually but the heat shrink never quite shrunk enough.

About a month later I realised your supposed to take the connectors off first :mad::p

Soldato
An hour trying to work out why a friend's friend's PC bluescreened and restarted during windows boot.

Managed to pull and reseat all the machine's innards before spotting the goo oozing out of the motherboard's burst capacitors... Obvious problem is obvious. Or not.

Associate
My noob time was when I was altering my WC setup and took the CPU out and wanted to reseat it. I cleaned it off and reapplied the compound and then idiotically put it back into the socket compound side first!!!

I suddenly realised my mistake took it out and noticed compound over quite a few of the pins. I panicked and got a small old face towel whcih was slightly damp and stroked over the pins in the direction they pointed in so making care not to pull and pins up. That cleaned the pins up quite a bit but as i pulled the cloth away, a fibre caught round a pin and pulled it out slightly. Me panicking majorly at this point, pushed the pin back in and reseated the CPU properly. Put everything else back together and pressed the power button. The whole thing starts normally with no issues to date! *Touch wood and whistle!*.

Soldato
haha mine was when putting the top fans on my cm690, i was convinced they went on top under the plastic as oppose to in the actual case next to the motherboard. So i sat there chipping away at plastic with the right hump then someone on here said don't they go on the other side? Seriously noobed myself that day.

HAHAHAAAAAA.................. :eek:.......................err............me too! :rolleyes:
Been there done that!

For shame...:(

Also n00bed myself the other month during a rig build at work. Plugged the usb connector into the firewire socket = burned out a 16gb pen drive due to it.

Last edited:
Associate
I was building my pc up again after i wanted to switch back to watercooling now that i got my 4770 hooked upto the loop (about 3 months i been wanting todo that until i found a single waterblock would fit perfect), connected everything up so the only thing todo was add water to the loop, went to turn the pc but nothing happened i was getting worried that i screwed up somewhere but having checking everything over again i figured i put the power switch and reset lead into the wrong pins so fixed that and it started up fine.

Last edited:
Associate
When I started messing around taking computers apart, I decided to change the little black switch on the back of the power supply from 250 to 500.. and switched the pc on with my face right around the back of the pc, it blew it up, smoke and a huge bang, fun times!

Soldato
I had exactly this problem a few years ago. Spent ages trying to work out why Windows wouldnt install, tried to install it on my external hdd only to eventually notice the connector clip. Doh.

Soldato
My dad managed to scrounge me an old server they were getting rid of from his work this summer. One of the big heavy rack mounted ones. I brought it home, set it all up. Went to press the power button, nothing happened. Press a bit harder, still nothing. Hrm.. have a closer look, there appears to be a small hole in the centre, maybe it's a safety feature that makes it hard to shutdown by mistake.

I go get a toothpick and poke it into the little hole and push. Crack.. there goes the power button pushed into the case. ****. I look up, and notice the power isn't turned on at the wall. **** ****** ******* ****!!

So now I have to use the same toothpick to get in behind the power button hole and jimmy it around until I manage to push in the switch inside which for some reason is off the the side of the hole.

Associate
I noob myself everyday. I still can't put a USB plug into a USB socket the proper way round first time.

This is one of the most if not the most annoying part of computing nowadays!!!!! - Annoys the hell outta me!. We have a 50/50 chance of getting it right first time and I never do!

Associate
I spent about 20mins trying to work out why my BIOS wasn't detecting my HDD after I rewired my PC.

Turns out I did not plug the modular bit for the string of SATA cables into my PSU....

Doh, damn I thought my PC was quiet.

Associate
This is one of the most if not the most annoying part of computing nowadays!!!!! - Annoys the hell outta me!. We have a 50/50 chance of getting it right first time and I never do!

Agreed! They should just make USB ports work whatever way you put the damn thing in!

Back
Top Bottom