OK, this is odd. (Car maintenance)

Don
My car developed a nasty buzz and vibration over the last few weeks that's road speed dependant and only there when turning left. "Ahha, that'll be the front right wheel bearing then" I thought.

So, off I go, embarking on the absolute mare of a job that is changing the hub assembly on an E39. I get it all buttoned back up and..... buzz and vibration still there.

"So...", thinks I "It must be the rear right wheel bearing then".
Out comes the 3 tonne jack and up goes the back of the car. Off come the wheels and I start spinning the rear hubs... "Hmmm, no play".

Now, at this point I'm completely stumped and just as a complete shot in the dark, I jack the front left up, whip the wheel off and spin the disc. NOTCHY AS HELL!

Now, I'm happy to have found the problem but have any of you had a wheel bearing fail in such a way that the tell tail noise associated with a bearing failure is only heared when turning in to the side of the failed bearing? Well, it's a first for me.

I've replaced countless bearing on countless different cars and I've never heared one make a louder noise when turning towards the failed bearing. It just makes no sense. The inside wheel is loaded less than the outside wheel.

Oh well, I guess these E39s are just wierd.

Don
OP
Well, I replaced the nearside bearing today and..... it's fixed. No more vibes and no more noise... well, apart from the burble of the V8 through the custom stainless exhaust system.

Back
Top Bottom