Students = Cheap windows 7

Soldato
This does seem a bit of a joke!

I've read the entire thread and still can't find out what I'm after.

Bascially, I have a valid xp 32bit and vista 64bit editions, full retail with keys and everything, the whole shopoodle. But I will be getting a new system. I don't wan't to install one of these on there first, I just want to put W7 straight on it, but I don't want to have to install xp or vista on it first. I like to always do a completely fresh install. How are they going to know whether I have a vlid copy of xp or vista to satisfy the 'upgarde' side of things?

Associate
Isn't there a way I can buy a non-upgrade version because I have XP and I dont want to have to buy vista to get the discount on the upgrade of windows 7 lol

Associate
I don't wan't to install one of these on there first, I just want to put W7 straight on it, but I don't want to have to install xp or vista on it first. I like to always do a completely fresh install. How are they going to know whether I have a vlid copy of xp or vista to satisfy the 'upgarde' side of things?
AFAIK, this is unknown.

We know you can do a clean install with an upgrade copy (otherwise the XP users wouldn't be able to upgrade), but we don't know if there needs to be a copy of XP or Vista already on the disc first.

Associate
Seen this guys?

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2009/07/a_major_windows_7_upgrade_question_gets_an_an.html

Got a student copy of W7 Pro coming in the next few days. Assuming that the key supplied is indeed an upgrade key, like everyone else I've been wondering for some time exactly how the process will work - e.g. does the Vista workround of upgrading a non activated version of itself work?

Now, according to the above, it does not (ignoring for a second the ability to upgrade a W7 RC install, which sometime next year will stop being an option). I have an upgrade version of Vista (because I also have/had a valid XP licence), so if a W7 upgrade key needs to see an activated copy of Vista, what this means is I'll have to install Vista, skip activation, install again and activate, and finally install W7.

Assuming this is all correct for now - given that I also want to secure erase my X25 before installation, this process is simply unacceptable, and I will find a way around it. Whether this breaks the EULA or not, I don't care - I have a valid copy of vista and have purchased a valid copy of W7. Microsoft, are you listening? Why can't you enter previous keys during install to show you have a valid copy of a previous OS?

EDIT: Or I guess I could try and dig out my copy of XP (if I can find it) to then upgrade that direct to W7 - still a massive pain in the ar$e though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is the upgrade version not going to be identical to the older XP upgrade edition, you can install it on a new system by sticking the W7 disk in, then it asks for you to stick an older windows disk in before it installs?:s

e.g. upgrade from ME to XP, you stick the XP upgrade disk in, it starts the process and then asks you to verify you have an older operating system so you take out the XP disk, stick in the ME disk and click ok. System says yes and you swap the disks over again and finish the XP install.

or installing W7

upgrade from XP/vista to w7, you stick the W7 upgrade disk in, it starts the process and then asks you to verify you have an older operating system so you take out the W7 disk, stick in the XP/Vista disk and click ok. System says yes and you swap the disks over again and finish the W7 install.

Associate
Is the upgrade version not going to be identical to the older XP upgrade edition, you can install it on a new system by sticking the W7 disk in, then it asks for you to stick an older windows disk in before it installs?:s

e.g. upgrade from ME to XP, you stick the XP upgrade disk in, it starts the process and then asks you to verify you have an older operating system so you take out the XP disk, stick in the ME disk and click ok. System says yes and you swap the disks over again and finish the XP install.

or installing W7

upgrade from XP/vista to w7, you stick the W7 upgrade disk in, it starts the process and then asks you to verify you have an older operating system so you take out the W7 disk, stick in the XP/Vista disk and click ok. System says yes and you swap the disks over again and finish the W7 install.
All a bit out of date. The Vista upgrade process required you to have a previous OS installed rather than just the CD/DVD media. This thread is then discussing how the Win7 upgrade process seems to require a previous OS to now be installed and activated.
I agree it would be so much better if they just asked for a previous activation code on a fresh install.

Soldato
If you have to install an activate your old OS it's hardly that much of a chore is it?

I mean, you're getting a new OS for £30 and if you only have it 3 years until the next version comes out then you might only install it once or twice anyway.

Associate
If you have to install an activate your old OS it's hardly that much of a chore is it?

I mean, you're getting a new OS for £30 and if you only have it 3 years until the next version comes out then you might only install it once or twice anyway.

Except there is the possibility of having to install my previous OS TWICE BEFORE W7 - I'm not sure where my XP CD is at the moment...

Associate
Right:

How do I do a custom installation?

Important: In a custom installation, your files, settings, and programs will not be transferred to Windows 7. You should back up your data before installing Windows 7.

To install Windows 7:

1. Run Windows Upgrade Advisor...
2. Back up your existing files...
3. Locate the original installation disks for the programs currently on your computer.
4. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and follow the instructions for a custom installation by selecting the Custom (advanced) installation option.
5. Reinstall your programs...

This implies that you can do a clean install if you have a disk.

Now on one computer I have legit Vista 32 bit and an iffy version of Win XP 32. I have a 64 bit machine.

I have a HTPC running W7 RC.

I have a retail version of Win 7 I have not installed yet. I wonder if I could use the retail DVD to start installing W7 x64 on the man machine (the one with Vista and iffy XP) and just use the key I get from the download version? This means I can blitz the HDD and start afresh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What Microsoft says you can do, and what can actually be done, are 2 very different things. Im going to let 'the internet' give it a bosh with the upgrade before I do mine.

Associate
Are we sure the home premium version is an upgrade licence? Because it doesn't say so anywhere, just says that the professional version (same price) is an upgrade license.

On the screens I get it specifically says it is an upgrade on both versions. On the Home Premium page is says "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade" under a green heading saying "Upgrade".

Soldato
Quick simple question.. My Vista home premium version was an upgrade from Xp and not a full version, although it was purchased from a high street store boxed retail. Will it be ok to upgrade to this Win 7 from my vista upgrade...

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom