Thai Curry

Soldato
Never tried a Thai curry before, and was considering trying it tonight. Can anyone recommend a good recipe?

I understand they are more soupy than an indian curry (like we get from curry houses). Heard they're quite yummy though?

Oh and green or red?

Red and green curries taste very similar, the red ones are milder in heat.
If your making your own they are very easy to make once you have created your curry paste. Do a google search on how to make the paste, once you have made that its easy. You can buy the paste already made up but I would recommend making your own as your curry will taste better and you get more satisfaction knowing you created it from scratch.
do some research on coconut rice too as this goes great with the curry.

Edit - http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaicurrypasterecipes/r/greencurrypaste.htm
Start with this, there are plenty of similar recipes but once you have made this its easy like I said earlier, then its just a case of adding your meat/veg and coconut milk.
Make a big batch of the paste and freeze it as it will save you time when you want to make it again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I prefer green but red is still nice

It's very simple to make too, you can buy the paste and simply add lime leaves , coconut milk,palm sugar, fish sauce (nam pla) then some meat & veg such as carrots , peas, and baby corn

don't add onions or garlic though

p.s. the thai girl in my local asain shop tells me most Thais just buy the paste anyways as it more or less the exact same recipe that everybody uses

Associate
If you are lucky enough to have an oriental supermarket in your area, you can pick up decent pastes very easily for a first attempt. Only need coconut milk and meat then, although they can overpower the taste of the meat much more than making your own.

Soldato
Thai curries are more of a 'stew' in it's own little bowl with sticky rice served on the dish.

I'd go for the green/red/tiger king prawn or chicken curry with Coconut rice as an introduction to Thai food.

Associate
Here is my recipe.

Put some black mustard seeds into sesame oil. Once they start to pop, put in some onions, garlic, grated ginger and finely chopped lemongrass. when the onions turn golden add plenty of red and green peppers and a couple of chopped chillies. then add some aubergine..........very important for me, they soak up all the flavours and oils.

Then add the chiken/prawns and a bit of thai curry paste. when the chicken is on its way you can add a tin of coconut milk. Don't worry if it's not green and it tastes too coconuty at this stage, the flavours need to infuse.

Chop some thai basil leaves and kafir lime leaves and add them. Squeeze in half a lime (stick the other half in a G&T) and add 1 tsp of thai fish sauce (V. important, this really gives it the authentic taste and means you MUST NOT ADD EXTRA SALT). Add a little palm sugar or 1/2 tsp of brown sugar if you don't have any.

Finally, the best bit, stir in a generous helping of fresh corriander and serve with thai jasmine rice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR:

The quick version.......

fry some chicken, add plenty of thai curry paste, add coconut milk and serve.

but if you have time and access to asian supermarkets it's worth the extra effort :)

Caporegime
Green thai curry with beef and sticky jasmine rice...absolutely awesome and its a good thing i have a lovely little thai restaurant near where i live...go there at least once a week and the great thing is all their meat is halal...so i drag my mum along too:p:D

Associate
Another ingredient that would never be found in an authentic thai green curry. :p

Beef is rarely seen at all in Thai cooking.

True, but there is nowt wrong with putting your own spin on a dish. If it tastes good then that's all that counts ennit.

Much like Indian curry, you will get a much more authentic dish if you make it yourself. Indian, chinese and thai restaurants have completely lost touch with their cooking heritage in this country. There are exceptions but rarely. They are simply lazy and aim directly at the bland palette of your england shirt wearing turd.

It's very upsetting :(

Back
Top Bottom