• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anything I should know before re appling the paste on 6800gt?

Soldato
I havent ever re applied the past on graphics cards, or taken off the coolers, so do I need to know anything before doing this?

Basically the card gets pretty dam warm after a few mins of being in windows, Ive run furmark, and I stopped it after reaching the 100c mark, but it didnt look like it was slowing down at all....... Basically I want to sell it, and I'll get more for it if its fully working.

Associate
Sounds like my 6800 Ultra that completly toasted itself, then BFG ended up replacing it with a 7600GT OC.

All i can really suggest is that you make sure you remove all of the previous paste and apply it as even as possible, whilst the fans off give it a dust from the inside. I honestly dont think your going to notice a huge difference in temperature though.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like my 6800 Ultra that completly toasted itself, then BFG ended up replacing it with a 7600GT OC.

All i can really suggest is that you make sure you remove all of the previous paste and apply it as even as possible, whilst the fans off give it a dust from the inside. I honestly dont think your going to notice a huge difference in temperature though.

Thanks,, the thing is, it never used to get so hot,, its like in the 70c idel, and goes passed the 100c mark at load:eek:

Soldato
OP
Thats done the job, used AS5. Idel temp in the mid 50s, load in the high 80s:D. Now im just running 3dmark a few times, to make sure the card isnt faulty at all, then I can bang it on ebay:D

Soldato
OP
AMAZING!!!! Though I would have a laugh and run Grid with the 6800gt, and to my amazement, it runs ultra smooth on nearly the lowest settings at 800x600.. I thought it wouldnt evern load the game cos the card only supports SM3.0 or what ever its called. Its a better card then I thought!!!

Back
Top Bottom