Car Accelerator Pedal

Associate
I really like the long accelerator pedals: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/interior/misc_pedals_bmw_manual_smg_lg.jpg... found in most cars compared with the skinny ones: http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/image.php?type=T&id=16789 ...

When were the long style pedals first introduced into cars? Iv noticed most if not all mercedes have them and BMW's and some VW's. Does anyone know a brief history of these type pedals?

Can the vauxhall corsa which has the pedals like on the second link posted above be changed to the new accelerator pedals (first link)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I know what you mean.

Technically there's no reason why it could not be done though changing it would mean some bespoke work.

I personally prefer the ones in the BMW (long ones flat on the floor) but they all do the same job I guess.. :D

M.

Soldato
afaik, the "long slim" types you refer to are traditionally racing car pedals, they allow for easier heel-toe action, so no suprise that a company like BMW who like to tread that fine line between sporty and comfortable luxury, would introduce soemthing like it into their models.

With regards to them being inter-changeable, I would have thought not as they will pivot from different places.

Man of Honour
The style you like are floor pivoted ones. Generally found in BMW and er, the original VW Beetle I think. Take a bit of getting used to but yes I quite like them too, my 1985 320 had a floor hinged throttle.

Associate
I personally find 'organ' (floor pivoted) style pedals weird - I've driven 100s of cars and stilll find it odd.

I'm changing the XJ for a 7 series soon so I'll see how I get on.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I find it strange to drive cars without floor-hinged acelerator pedals now, my last three cars have had them and I personally find them far more comfortable to use.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Much prefer them, although pretty much every car i have owned has had a floor hinged pedal so i guess i am used to them.

Back
Top Bottom