Shrapnel

Soldato
I've started accumulating stacks and stacks of 1 and 2 pence coins. I don't see the point of these coins at all, all the 99pence things we buy and get 1pence change which is usually thrown on the floor or the bin. Is there actually any point to these apart from being all over? Surely rounding the price of goods to the nearest 5pence would make shops more efficient due to not having to give hundreds of people 1pence change.

Caporegime
I tend to throw them away myself...i dont keep shrapnel...i only keep shiny silvery coins:p

Actually lately ive been giving them to my mum, who likes hoarding them along with £2 coins...shes got over £100 in £2 coins bless her:p

Associate
We used to price everything to .95p but am swaying back to putting things to .99p. It's easier with pennies rather than 5p.

Also instead of putting small coins into the exchange machine, buy some goods and put them in the self service counters if they don't have a limit on small coins. That way you won't loose a percentage.

Caporegime
save them all as it surprising how quick they add up

Not really, i've been collecting my coppers for about 4 years, quite a weight but I counted them out a couple of months ago and it was a grand total of about £4.:p

Having said that I do put a reasonable amount in chaity boxes if there is one next to the till.

Man of Honour
Surely rounding the price of goods to the nearest 5pence would make shops more efficient due to not having to give hundreds of people 1pence change.

It comes down to basic psychology, something at £4.99 looks to be more of a bargain than an equivalent product at £5.00. Even though people know that the difference is negligible there is enough of an attraction there for it to be a worthwhile practice for shops to continue with.

I tend to chuck my spare change in a couple of Pringles tubes and take it into the bank when I've got a reasonable sum/can be bothered. It probably works out to be £20 every few months which is better than a kick in the teeth and it also means that I don't carry round loads of change all the time.

Soldato
Yeah it gets a bit annoying, I've got a nice stack of them.

I loved the currency in China, notes for everything. They use the yuan which is around 10p, and then have a smaller note that is 1/10th of a yuan, so roughly 1p.

I only got 1 coin from the 2 trips I took there. Made me feel pretty rich with my wallet stuffed with notes, even if the total was only £30 or so :p

Back
Top Bottom