• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best GPU for around £50

Associate
Hi,
I have a budget of around £50, It can stretch a little but the more I spend on graphics the less I eat over the next month.

I was looking at some cards around that price range, the 9500GT, GT220 and a HD 4670. All sporting 1gb memory.

Which of those cards is best, and are there any alternatives that I've overlooked?

Other system information:
core 2 quad 8200
4gb ddr2 ram.
Res: 1440 x 900
Windows 7 (going to be)

Anyone think i should be spending more on graphics? :p

Permabanned
GTX295!

:o

In all seriousness, the 4670 is the best out of that lot.

Whether you should spend more though? Depends on what you're doing with your PC.

Associate
OP
Oh, really should have mentioned that :p

I play mainly source games, I would like to have some gaming capabilities, but as long as I can max graphics settings in source I'm happy.

Soldato
What do you mean by good PSU?
High power output? (wattage?)

a review somewhere said the 4730 requires 2 6pin connectors from the PSU?

Yeah it does, as far as I remember a 4730 is basically a 4870, even down to the PCB level - but a lot of stuff is disabled (640 shaders, 8 ROPs, 128-bit bus), and there are physically only half the memory chips.

Associate
OP
I've been looking at prices of the Asus 3850 x2 on other sites, and on ****** the same card is selling for £92

how come the card on OCUK is so much cheaper?

Associate
I have the HIS hd 4670 which in my opinion is the nicest looking of the 4670, and there has not been a game yet that i have not been able to play maxed out. And with its cooler it runs very cool 33'c idle and about 44'c after 1hr of Crysis warhead. so if you can find overclocking software thats compatible with the card you could archive a good cool overclock. And i only payed £53.00 from ******, bargain!

Associate
I have the HIS hd 4670 which in my opinion is the nicest looking of the 4670, and there has not been a game yet that i have not been able to play maxed out. And with its cooler it runs very cool 33'c idle and about 44'c after 1hr of Crysis warhead. so if you can find overclocking software thats compatible with the card you could archive a good cool overclock. And i only payed £53.00 from ******, bargain!

What res are you playing at though?

Associate
What res are you playing at though?

Most of my games i play at 1440x900 that the max my monitor can handle, but games like SR2, hawk when i set it to that res only half the pic is displayed! only two games that do that thou, i play far cry 2, NFS shift, Dirt maxed out setting on res 1440x900 no problem. on 3dmark06 my system scored 9.214 and thats only with E5200 O'C to 3.2 gonna O'C to 3.6 should be over 10.000 then not bad 4 budget system hey!

Back
Top Bottom