bikers be aware

Man of Honour
well it has been 2 weeks now ive refrained from posting however a close friend of mine passed away a week ago last evening.

tbh i only now he lad from motorbiking trips to Ireland and scotland over the course of this year. a good biker not a racer, had an old yamaha 1300 he first time we met and a triumph tiger the second.

a very good and very safe rider, who had family a 2 year old daughter and a 15 year old who joined us on the scotland trip as a pillion.

from what we gather he was driving on his bike two thursdays ago, a 18 year old decided to overtake his mate racing stylee and did not notice my friend coming the other way.

he should have died on the scene.

however after having his leg amputated and a shattered pelvis he fought on for a week when his liver failed and he died. RIP.

from what we gather he did not have head or upper body injuries however the damage to his lower body ultimately led to his death, leaving behind a wife and 2 kids.

i aint going to rant about the 18 year old we all make mistakes some small, some huge however all i can think about is his young daughters and wife and what they are going through.

Take care out there, bikers and car drivers alike.

Last edited:
Associate
RIP, terrible :(

A friend of a friend died last week on the famous A483 between Newtown and Llandridnod Wells. He went into a corner and something happened with his rear axle - wheel came off ( :eek: ) and he went straight under a 4x4 coming the other way. A freak accident and no-ones fault, but just shows you that when it goes wrong the consequences are so, so much higher.

Be careful out there guys

Associate
because it's safer ? :(

MW

Yes it is safer but everyone that rides a bike knows that any accident, big or small, is going to hurt at best and kill you at worst. We accept that and do it anyway in much the same way that 1 in 6 people that attempt to climb Everest die trying but people still try.

It's hard to describe riding a bike on a summer day on a twisty road with nice sticky tyres but there is no other driving experience like it. A mate of mine used to say that it was like having a personal rollercoaster, not sure I agree with that but I know what he's trying to say.

I believe I'm a much better car driver because I've ridden a bike, your road sense is heightened, you become much more aware of other traffic and hazards, you pay much more attention to road surfaces (or round here - the lack of them). The roads would be a better place if taking a bike test was mandatory for all drivers.

Memphisto - I'm sorry to hear about your friend but rest assured he died doing something he loved.

Soldato
RIP, very sad, I hope the person responsible is feeling the consequences of his actions.

Regarding the safety argument - its a risk we all take and accept going out onto the public roads. Whether you're in a car or on a bike, you take a risk that someone is going to plough into you. Obviously when you're on a bike the outcome is inevitably a whole lot worse and that's something motorcyclists know and accept as a risk - every drive is a gamble.

Sadly, this bloke lost the gamble through no fault of his own. I can't see any way that accidents like these will ever stop happening.

Associate
In this instance a car driver would have faired no better.
In fact, he might well of come off worse.

Im also with atpbx with this one. memphisto did not mention time of day, speed limits or road conditions. There is a horrible low sun in the mornings and some evenings at the moment. That lad would not have intentionally have performed an overtake if he saw there was something coming the other way.

As a young driver who has just killed someone as a result of his error, i suspect he possibly needs support too.

Soldato
RIP. Thoughts with family and friends.:(

Memphisto, something similar happened to me in 2006. Friend killed on a ride out, only I was actually there when it happened and he died in front of me despite my attempts to keep him alive. The actual circumstances were bitterly ironic.

It's something that stays with you forever, so I have an idea how you feel.

Associate
A friend of mine was killed in an accident on his bike a few years ago.
It was all his own fault and was put down to rider error.
It took me a couple of years to get over it and decide that I wanted a bike again.

Memphisto,
Sorry to hear about your friend, it's such a shame.

Back
Top Bottom