reasons to change from a 20GB-360 to a 250gb PS3 slim?

Soldato
Having been an xbox owner for around 2 1/2 years now, i'm considering the change to a PS3. I know the gaming experiences are around the same (although i'm paying £5 a month for 360 online) and i've already got a BD player......what would i benefit from if i changed to a PS3?

i think it would cost me around £130 to change from a 20GB 360 to a 250GB PS3.

Associate
Keep both if it's at all possible, my console gaming experience has been much more enjoyable since owning both of them :) That said though, my ps3 is used much less often than my 360.

Soldato
OP
i couldn't really justify the expenditure on a new console without first getting rid of the old. Are there non gaming functions on the PS3 i would benefit from?

I'm reading up as i type this so not being completely lazy.

Associate
Are you thinking of getting the slim version?
I've seen second hand older ps3's going a lot cheaper and not far from £130.00 if you were inclined to take that route.
I've also seen customer return ps3's going for £150.00 so you might be able to keep both consoles.

Soldato
OP
Are you thinking of getting the slim version?
I've seen second hand older ps3's going a lot cheaper and not far from £130.00 if you were inclined to take that route.
I've also seen customer return ps3's going for £150.00 so you might be able to keep both consoles.

I've seen slims go for £190-£200 and older ones for a little less but no where near as low as you've quoted. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place.

Soldato
I sometimes go 3-4 months without opportunity to game on line, i know monthly is more expensive but i can stop the payments when i like
Well I cant see what benefit you are getting from swapping to a PS3 over a 360 unless you either

• Have more friends with a PS3 and want to swap for online gaming purposes
  • Have specific titles that are only available on the PS3 and that you really want to play
If you have no strong desire for either of those, then it just seems like a strange decision as the Blue Ray player features highly on the list of reasons to swap and that isn't one of the reasons for you.

Caporegime
Depends on how much you like the controller. Really the most important part of any kit is the Human Interface Device. Although it's weird - the DualShock 3 feels so natural during some games but in others it's totally horrendous and my hands go "aaaahhhhh!" with a contented sigh of relief when they grip the 360 pad for a game.

Soldato
I'm considering the same mate except the 120gb, though I'm waiting for January sales to start before I get mine.

The free online play is really whats enticing me, usually If I upgrade to gold I'll play it for a week and waste the rest of the 3 months so for me XBL really isn't worth it, just want to play it whenever I want without worrying about how much time I've got left.

but as above I'd keep both, selling it and not being able to play Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 would really be annoying.

Associate
I'm considering the same mate except the 120gb, though I'm waiting for January sales to start before I get mine.

The free online play is really whats enticing me, usually If I upgrade to gold I'll play it for a week and waste the rest of the 3 months so for me XBL really isn't worth it, just want to play it whenever I want without worrying about how much time I've got left.

but as above I'd keep both, selling it and not being able to play Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 would really be annoying.

in that case pay £30 a year and you wont have to worry about it, rather than spend £100's on a new console.

Soldato
Keep the 360, save for the PS3. I have both and wouldn't give up either of them, i prefer the PS3 but the 360 is still an utterly brilliant console. It also looks like it's the only platform you'll ever be able to play Alan Wake on so it's worth keeping for that alone.

Soldato
in that case pay £30 a year and you wont have to worry about it, rather than spend £100's on a new console.

No thanks, I'd rather buy a PS3 than pay to play online. it may sound daft but I'd probably only play it for a month online then forget about it. I dont want to think about paying to play Online.

plus the PS3 is attracting me with GOW3, GT, Killzone 2, new team Ico game, MGS4 etc. I'd find it much better knowing I wont have to pay to play games against my mates. my mate is thinking of getting one also so bonus.

I also dont think it's worth me paying for it, as from what I've experienced from playing SF4 online it's laggy as hell, and I dont want to pay for a service that is pants tbh.

Soldato
Having got a PS3 in addition to 360 a few months back, I would say that the 360 just feels like a lot more fun. I still prefer it for gaming over my PS3, though I do enjoy both.

As others have suggested, perhaps try to keep 360 and get PS3. You may land up hating teh PS3 and then you'll be selling up, losing more money. Perhaps you'll realise some us were right, and both can sit next to each other and get along just fine :)

Back
Top Bottom