emigration to the USA

Caporegime
please dont turn this into a debate as to whether its a good idea or not

Im just wondering if anybody has any websites to read for good impartial advice as to the procedures and difficulties with emmigration to the USA.

I know they are very very picky and the green card is almost holy grail like in its status, but that makes getting good advice very difficult.

there are tons of websites giving advice, but most seem to want my postal address to send me "starter packs" leading me to the conclusion its really just a fancy way of getting my address to send me junk mail, and not the real info i need.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure you basically need to either marry an American, or work for a company who:

a) Is American or has an American base

AND

b) Can demonstrate that there isn't an American who could do your job.

We can't enter the green card lottery etc as we are British.

Caporegime
OP
i know its difficult

but id like to get precise information on the requirements etc... This seems difficult to find.

Its relatively easy to find for Oz, as they have a list of current required jobs and the points scoring system etc.. but not for the U.S.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;15122295 said:
Well is your girlfriend American or do you work for an American company?

:D

Another way you can get in is if you invest $250,000 into a business over there, creating at least 10 jobs (I think). Good luck. :)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
As said, you pretty much need an american company to put you forward for their H1B Visa that gets you over there and eligible to work (but no idea of the restrictions, i.e. is it only for the company you went over with) for 3 years.

Or marry a US citizen.

A family member used to travel thereon work on an A1 Visa, could get away with loads of stuff if they wanted (and one of their work colleagues did!).

Soldato
i am not sure if its BS but i have been told marriage isn't always enough, you need a kid as well to seal the deal nowadays!

Soldato
:D

Another way you can get in is if you invest $250,000 into a business over there, creating at least 10 jobs (I think). Good luck. :)

That isn't necessarily true. It has to be what the American's call a 'Substantial' investment, is sustainable and can employ at least 2 full time American's within the lifetime of the Visa. Obviously the higher the investment into the business the bigger the business is likely to be. However I have known of people investing in a start up franchise of no more than $80 USD and having an initial 2 year visa granted.

The other option is of course to start a business over here, let it grow and then apply for an L class visa. This allows you as a company director to look to expand your business into America and allows you 1 year to start it up. Within this one year you can also submit your Green Card application for permanent residency.

Fortunately there is a bill to be presented to Congress in the near future called The Adam Putnam bill which will grant greater rights to legal Aliens on an E class Visa. As such after four or five years, it is expected that will be able to apply for permanent residency via green card and naturalisation should you wish.

Have a look at http://www.thefloridaforums.com/ It's a community for people who have either moved or are in the process of moving. A lot of the information on their is priceless.

Speaking from someone who has tried to apply and will be applying again in a few years, make sure you apply for the right visa and most importantly get the right legal advice. Good luck dude

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Just remembered it was an A2 Visa, not an A1!

Get away with what?

Well, and I don't know the ins and outs, but from what I remember it was something drink driving related. You have diplomatic immunity iirc, can't be detained or arrested I think.

Doesn't mean you get away scott free though, I'm sure your own government might have something to say about it, slap on the wrist at least :p

Last edited:
Associate
Marry a US woman (Immediate relative petition) takes 3-5 (uk citizens only) months you will get a green card.

a H1B visa will get you 6 years in the US to work (2 x 3 year visas) you will need a job offer from a US employer and need to have a degree or 12 years experience in your field

E2 invester visa - invest a minimum of $100,000USD into an excisting business, franchise, new enterprise etc, takes about 3-4 months and you will be given 2 years initially but re-newable indefinately.

There are other options but vary few lead to PR (green card) US is very hard to migrate to, above are very basic requirements and are not exhaustive.

Australia/Canada much easier to secure PR in :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I work for an American company and even then its still difficult if they want you to go work over there (not that I want to), so many forms etc to fill in.

Soldato
Really didn't know it was that hard to get into the US :confused:
One of our ex managers went over to live in Boston and from application to catching the flight it took around 6 months. The biggest stress factor he said was finding a suitable house to buy.

Soldato
i'm on the last stage of my visa now. my wife is american ( currently living here ) and to be honest it hasnt been hard at all. It has helped that she used to work for the Visa center in portsmouth, NH, and she knows her way around the forms.

Thats if your married to an american though. She told me some stories of the visa's she processed and got denied and some of those people had been waiting years.

Back
Top Bottom