Crucial Firmware Update - problems

Soldato
I am starting a new thread as I suspect I may not be the only one with "issues".

I installed the SSD and allocated it a primary partition of the full disc size. Shows up in windows.

I have downloaded the firmware and put it on a bootable CD and I also put it in the root of my normal Win7 enterprise test HDD.

I boot to the normal SATA CD and nothinh happens
I boot using a tempory PATA CD drive and it boots to DOS
I can't see the exe file on the CD but I can load it from the HDD.

I run the exe file but the crucial exe says it can't find the SSD drive - it doesn't recognise any SATA drives in DOS?

mb = GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5P (i7 etc)

Help please!

Last edited:
Associate
Have you checked the sata ports are running i ide emulation mode ? this will be required. Then flick em back to whatever they were set at before booting into windows.

Associate
Yep - same problem despite selecting IDE mode. It wouldn't boot from the ISO image on a cd rom or from a bootable flash drive.

In the end, I dug out a floppy and re-enabled "A" drive. Worked a treat ;)

Associate
please help me get my crucial 64gb ssd to update

ok i have tried for the last hour to get my 2gb usb pen to act as a bootable device for dos,

i downloaded the software from bay-wolf ect

fomated the usb to fat32

add the win98boot file

and nothing is on the usb pen,i changed my boot priority to removable device,rebooted and all i get is please insert a bootable device ect.

what else is there to do to get this to work,i am starting to wish i never brought this ssd now as it all seems like hard work to update the firmware.

please could someone advise me or even help me get this sorted

what files should i be using could someone post them for me please,im not all that techy on things like this so all the help would be great

i d/l loaded the the firmware from crucial i see three files in the rar ct64m,ct128m,ct256m do i use the ct64m only.

please help

Associate
I could not get this working with a sata cd drive, even with IDE set in BIOS, i think you either need to have an IDE cd drive or get a bootable usb and copy the .exe to it. Worked a treat for me and only took 1min to flash after the 3hours trying to get the thing booted!

Associate
If you drive is a crucial 64gb ssd you should use the ct64m.exe file.

I copy file (CT256M.exe) to a bootable floopy disk and use a usb floppy drive to update my 256gb SSD drive.

I enter my bios change settings to boot from USB floppy drive, also reset SATA drives to IDE mode in my Bios, saved bios and then booted from the floppy drive.

Type in CT256M.exe as I have a 256GB drive software loaded and I followed the instructions.

Rebooted and enter bios settings again and change SATA drive to AHCI mode and saved.

Soldato
OP
As I started this thread I will report how I sucessfully updated the firmware on my 128GB drive:

- did it on an "old" P4 machine which has its main C: drive on IDE and the CD drives on IDE but 2 SATA connection on the motherboard (P4P800S)

- burnt a bootable CDRW using Nero with the CT128M.exe file

- booted to the CD and then found the CT128M.exe file on the CD

- typed CT128M at G:drive prompt (my CD drive)

- the Crucial programme ran and found the SSD drive.

- I typed "Y" in response to prompts and it took about 1 millisec to update the firmware and then asked me to reboot. In "control panel / hardware devices / hard drives" the firmware now appears as version 1819.

WHERE IT DIDNT WORK - on my new Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5P PC:

- new PC with SATA CD drive - DOS won't run.
- new PC with old floppy or IDE CD - runs Crucial prog but can't find SSD.

Seems that Crucial software only works on old PCs!!!! It won't work in DOS as the SATA drivers haven't yet been loaded. Presumably on my old PC they are preloaded by the BIOS and are "IDE connections via a SATA socket"?

Mel

Soldato
OP
Worked OK on my new Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 MB using a USB floppy drive

Peculiar. Tried a few times - I could boot to DOS with a boot FDD (or a boot CD) on the i7 board but the Crucial prog couldn't find the SSD - which socket did you have it plugged in? An Intel (SATA) or a Gigabyte (GSATA) sockets? Mine was in an Intel socket.

Must have had some setting incompatible!

Mel

Soldato
OP
Peculiar - I had set up RAID1 initially but disconnected these two 1TB drives to connect the SSD and set the thing back to ACHI - perhaps this has left some setting intact that is causing the problem?

Back
Top Bottom