Taking my blades with me...am I allowed to?

Soldato
Just a quick question as I am totally unsure of whether I am allowed to take my Mach 3 turbo razor with me, in my cabin baggage tomorrow aboard a Ryanair flight to Dublin?

This is what the FAQ at the Ryanair website reads: Link

What items are prohibited from being carried in the Cabin of the aircraft?

Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles into the security restricted area and the cabin of an aircraft: Guns, Firearms & Weapons; any object capable, or appearing capable, of discharging a projectile or causing injury, including: All firearms (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.) Replica and imitation firearms, Component parts of firearms (excluding telescopic sighting devices & sights), air pistols, rifles and pellet guns. Signal flare pistols, Starter pistols, Toy guns of all types,ball bearing guns, industrial bolt and nail guns, cross bows, catapults, harpoon and spear guns, Animal humane killers, stun or shocking devices, e.g. cattle prods, ballistic conducted energy weapons (laser), lighters shaped like a firearm.

Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, lockable or flick knives with blades of any length, knives, including ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades of any length, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g. drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches.

Blunt Instruments: any blunt instrument capable of causing injury, including baseball and softball bats, clubs or batons - rigid or flexible - e.g. billy clubs, blackjacks (truncheon of leather covered lead with flexible shaft), night sticks & batons, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey and hurley sticks, lacrosse sticks, kayak and canoe paddles, skateboards, billiard, snooker and pool cues, fishing rods, martial arts equipment, e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, num-chucks, kubatons, kubasaunts.

Explosives and flammable substances; any explosive or highly combustible substance which poses a risk to the health of passengers and crew or the security/safety of aircraft or property, including ammunition, blasting caps, detonators & fuses, explosives and explosive devices, replica or imitation explosive material or devices, mines & other explosive military store, grenades of all types.gas & gas containers, e.g. butane, propane, acetylene, oxygen - in large volume, fireworks, flares in any form and other pyrotechnics (including party poppers and toy caps), non safety matches, smoke generating canisters or cartridges, flammable liquid fuel, e.g. petrol/gasoline, diesel, lighter fluid, alcohol, ethanol, aerosol spray paint, turpentine & paint thinner, alcoholic beverages exceeding 70% by volume (140% proof)

Chemical and Toxic Substances; any chemical or toxic substances which pose a risk to the health of passengers and crew or the security/ safety of aircraft or property, including: acids and alkalis, e.g. spillable "wet" batteries, corrosive or bleaching substances - e.g. mercury, chlorine, disabling or incapacitating sprays - e.g. mace, pepper spray, tear gas, radioactive material - e.g. medicinal or commercial isotopes, poisons, infectious or biological hazardous material - e.g. infected blood, bacteria and viruses, material capable of spontaneous ignition or combustion, fire extinguishers (excepting as authorised by fire protocols and as aircraft emergency equipment)

Guns, firearms, ammunition and weapons (including replica items), paints, Christmas crackers, items with internal combustion engines such as chainsaws, model aircraft, lawnmowers, etc., may not be carried in any baggage (whether checked or unchecked)

So am I allowed to take it in my cabin luggage or not, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Caporegime
You'll be fine.

If you are still unsure, take it out of your bag and wave it frantically and maniacally in the face of the cabin crew, demanding they let you into the cockpit. Once in, then ask the captain for his/her opinion.

Soldato
OP
I assume this is because you are not taking any luggage?

Have you considered just calling the airline?

You'll be fine.

If you are still unsure, take it out of your bag and wave it frantically and maniacally in the face of the cabin crew, demanding they let you into the cockpit. Once in, then ask the captain for his/her opinion.

lol thats assuming they let me anywhere near the aircraft.

Found this on the Birmingham Airport website:

Sharp & Pointed Items

The following list is indicative of the type of item NOT permitted in hand luggage. It should be remembered that this list serves only as an example of the type of item that is prohibited and is not exhaustive. It should also be noted that it is in addition to (and does not replace) the list of dangerous and illegal goods that are published by individual airlines.

* Toy or replica guns
* Catapults
* Household cutlery
* Knives with blades of any length
* Paper knives
* Razor blades
* Tradesman’s tools
* Darts
* Scissors with pointed tips and blades longer than 3cms
* Knitting needles
* Sporting bats
* Billiard, snooker or pool cues
* Flammable liquids
* Gas canisters, Butane energy cells
* Personal attack alarms, Laser pens
* Pointed Hair-Slides

Soldato
OP
I would suggest calling them up, it shte only way you will get a definite answer.

Maybe ask if you can put it in the hands of the crew or something for the duration of the flight?

Just called them up, they confirmed that something like a Mach 3 can be taken in cabin luggage. She did ask how many I was taking with me, perhaps that makes a difference? I only need the one, so thats sorted!

Associate
Razor blades are banned but you're on about taking a disposable safety razor.

You should be fine unless the security staff are feeling particularly jobsworth.

P

Soldato
Just called them up, they confirmed that something like a Mach 3 can be taken in cabin luggage. She did ask how many I was taking with me, perhaps that makes a difference? I only need the one, so thats sorted!

I don't know...I mean I suppose if you had a lot you could use them as pseudo ninja stars but I think taking over an aircraft with them would required some serious Macgyvering on your part.

Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;15124017 said:
You can take them in your cabin luggage.

:eek: so you can't take anyform of weapon, but can take a safety razer, that you easily dissemble and form a knife out of.

Bes bets to phone airport, even if you can't hardly a problem. Just buy some disposables when you are over there.

Caporegime
On a recent work trip to birmingham, flying from belfast international. i had accidentaly left a can of deoderant in my carry on bag, needless to say this was confiscated, however i was allowed to carry a large selection of paint scrapers, filling knifes and a few screw drivers in the same bag.

Don
I've been on 4 flights since the increased security, they've all let me through with a mach 3/fusion with no problem.

I only ever take hand luggage, they said as long as it's not a 'razer blade', ie the old type, it's fine

Back
Top Bottom