Gaming rig - fairly high spec, suggestions?

Associate
A load of stuff we've already discussed

Also, I'm not telling him how to spend his money. This conversation turned into a discussion of the merits of the i5 and i7, rather than direct advice to the OP. Not once did I say you must buy this, rather I suggested an alternative which everyone but the OP and 2 others were quick to knock down, albeit with no backing.

skippy2421 said:
At the end of the day it's down to OP to weigh up the pros and cons of each platform and decide what's best for him. After all he knows more than all of us what he is going to be doing with it.

Spot on, and this thread is perfect for him. He's had his 2 main choices disected over 3 pages. If he's not well informed at this point then it's a lost cause.

I just have to reitterate again though that he's building a gaming system. There's no groundbreaking Crysis-esque titles en route that are going to shatter the requirements for gaming, what the OP cares about. I think he should be building for the now, for Borderlands, for MW2, for Aion. We've had no developers saying they're going to fully adopt Hyperthreading or 6+ cores. We don't need to spend exhorbitant amounts of money building a system that will pump out 80fps when 60fps is ample.

While the talk of more bandwidth and cores is awesome to think about, we simply can't advise the OP to buy a system like that because we can't guarantee to him that he needs it. I very rarely post in recommendation threads because I don't think anyone has the information needed to tailor a PC for someone they don't know. I only chose to reply to these few lately because I've been reading a lot of reviews before my purchase.

People who specify computers that have fantastically good components are more or less ripping off the person, even though they asked for it. I shudder to think how many people bought a £2k+ PC for the mediocrity that was Crysis. Beyond that game they had nothing at all to utilise what they'd built. Maybe it was throwaway money, but that's not the point. You're being asked your opinion on what they should buy. They're trusting you to give them good advice and not mislead them into buying equipment that they don't need. That's my biggest issue with these threads. You should be giving out information based on what you'd be comfortable buying. Everyone here knows how quickly things advance.

Kinda deviated from the topic, but it should give you a better idea why I'm debating the merits of the 750 so stoutly, even though it is only £100. That's £100 he can spend on games instead, which it'll run amazingly and with no perceivable difference anyway!

Associate
Soldato
Coming around a bit now, fair play kcer. I think I finally see where you're coming from. My current guesses at our differences here are:

When you state the 750 is better, you mean better per pound. When I say the 920 is better, I mean it is better in absolute terms. It processes things quicker, and since it's a processor, that's how I value it. X58 is better in that it has more features (I love triple channel memory), however in frame rate per pound I daresay P55 has it beaten.

The other issue is you tending to consider systems at stock while I tend to completely ignore stock performance and look at performance/frequency. However I think we've covered that.

Does the crossfire 5850s (or even 5870s) on a massive resolution not swiftly conclude that the X58 bandwidth is beneficial?
2560x1600 and with AF and AA preferably maxxed
Similarly he needs every scrap of processing power available to keep up with the graphics cards here. To the extent that he probably wants a 920 clocked as high as possible with hyperthreading off to keep temperatures down, until such time as games can run on 8 threads.

You make a very sound point that we cannot specify a computer perfectly. I'm failing to do that with my own one, and I've spent daft amounts of time on that and know exactly what I want it to do. However collective opinion on here won't strike far wrong, and is an alternative to obsessive research. It's certainly quicker; I've been putting my computer together for well over a year so far.

(you're off my ignore list, and no hard feelings from this end. Thanks for the debate)

Soldato
Handbags ladies!

What has happened to GH since I've been away?

The OP wanted a powerful gaming PC and has a budget to match. All we need is a few people to draw up some baskets and that's it. I don't see the need to argue.

Soldato
Ah, but the OP posted a discussion. So a discussion ensued, albeit the wrong one. This way he has a better chance of making an informed decision (ignoring everything I and kcer have written would help with this I know).

The alternative of just picking components until people agree that's about right doesn't tell him any of the reasoning behind it, and the OP suggested he would prefer know the reasoning.

Soldato
Also, I'm not telling him how to spend his money. This conversation turned into a discussion of the merits of the i5 and i7, rather than direct advice to the OP. Not once did I say you must buy this, rather I suggested an alternative which everyone but the OP and 2 others were quick to knock down, albeit with no backing.

This is silly. Just because he has the money it doesn't mean he should spend it.

So that's just telling him what now?

Associate
OP
Well thanks for the info and lively discussion. If nothing else your discourse has alerted me to the debate between i5 and i7 that I was previously ignorant of; as well as introducing me to the merits of both.

When I finally get this all sorted and have made up my mind you can be sure I will post here with the photos and the inevitable questions I will have...

Associate
Well thanks for the info and lively discussion. If nothing else your discourse has alerted me to the debate between i5 and i7 that I was previously ignorant of; as well as introducing me to the merits of both.

When I finally get this all sorted and have made up my mind you can be sure I will post here with the photos and the inevitable questions I will have...

Congrats on making sense of it all ;)

Associate
i,m sorry i missed this thread been on holiday,but if i had been here i have backed Kcer all the way,i have had this argument in other threads and for gaming a i7 860 is all you need,both chips have there merits for differant uses,but from a gaming point of view then i have gone with a 860 as i can,t see the advantage to me going the 920 route,i look at it that i have a quad core at the moment and have never pushed it to what it can do as there is nothing out that would warrant me to do that,so waste of money probably as 3 yrs on its still never got to anything nr what i could do,i also donnt understand the inportance of oc a chip beyond 3.8ghz for Gaming as there is no benefits after this point either...i wish the op luck in making his choice cos thats what it should be at the end of the day..:)

Soldato
Having just discovered that my one piece of negative feedback in trust is from you, stating

"Insulting and overaggressive on an opinion he couldn't back up."

I'm inclined to feel that you are what is wrong with this forum. The trust system relates to sales in members market, not to you being bitter about being flattened in this thread for talking rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom