Strange problem

Soldato
Ok bare with me as this might take a bit of explaining.

I and a friend have both recently purchased 2x WD caviar black 500GB drives from ocuk to run a raid 0 setup in our machines

We both have identical chip sets on our motherboards and both are using the same drivers for windows 7 but we are getting different benchmark speeds and im wondering if anything noticeable could be causing the difference? Our machines are also fairly similar in specs (same gfx cards, similar clocks on our CPU's etc)

Now I am running the drives in raid 0 as one large partition and am getting 130mbps minimum 180mbps average and 190mbps max speeds, which i thought was ok.

And my friend has installed the drives in raid 0 with 2 partitions (one 300GB system partition, and one 700gb partition for games installs etc) and is getting 180mbps minimum and 190mbps average and 220mbps max speeds. which is a considerable amount more.

We also have 2 different combined sizes (mine being 940GB and his being 980GB).

Please help me understand what could be causing the difference before i try a reinstall.

Could my drives be faulty? would it be worth RMA'ing the drives or reinstalling with the same partitions to compare again?

:confused:

Soldato
OP
I can understand it from that respect but its just a little confusing that the jump is rather noticeable. I wouldn't be that concerned if it was only a few MBPS but the difference is certainly noticeable.

Soldato
OP
Yes chewie using hd tune which is installed on the main os partition. However HDTune (I thought) benched the whole array as a single thing regardless of the partitions?

can anyone confirm this?

Associate
compare your access times, or rerun the test on both hard drives using the "most accurate" option and compare, it might be easier to post both benchmarks up here

Back
Top Bottom