Would this fan set up be about as good as i can get with corsair h50

Soldato
Get a corsair h50 tomorow and have been messing about in paint, do you think this setup of fans will be ok to get the best out of the h50, the top fans are 140mm each and everything else is 120mm

what do you think?

h50setup.jpg

Associate
Im no expert so oters can corect me but im not sure this will work better. Hot air travels up and also the the set up you got may make the GFX cards suffer. so having the fans at the front blow put and the top 1s blow in not sure the airflow will cover the gfx cards well. Having the front blow in mens air will flow towards the GFX cars then out the back then having the top fans blow out means all the heat inside is going up and away. so im sure giving option having them the way you have it set up here will b worse than front in top out. As fot the H50 as a intake i dont know much about this i guess as you got front fans its best to have the H50 blow out. As the fan blowing inwards is only really needed if the airflow in the case isnt good.

Soldato
Front Intake - Rear Exhaust - PSU Seperate seems to be the most popular choice.

What case is it? I don't think the rad would reach to the front but if you could put it on the fan closest to the front that might work as an intake, with the rear and next top one along as exhaust.

Soldato
I don't think this would be a good idea tbh.

Hot air rises, so it would make more sence keeping the top mounted fans as exhausts, and the front fans as your intakes.

I know Corsair recommend fitting the H50 so it draws air into the case, but there are plenty of guys on here that have it setup so it is exhausting air out of the case, and they dont seem to be having any problems.

Associate
Your PSU is upside down, and won't be getting much air at all from that... I'd turn it the other way up to use it as an extra exhaust. Having low pressure inside the case seems to help, from what i've read, and my experiences.

I've got my PC set up as 2 120mm front intake, while a 120mm side, 120mm rear and 140mm top all exhaust. It's an Antec Three Hundred. My temps are all staggeringly awesome compared to what I'm used to. Graphics card used to hit 80 on my old motherboard, now it barely breaks 70... Stock cooler and all.

CSA

CSA

Associate
Ive got the top fan/s exhausting , the front two intake and the back intake

heat rises so you want to vent that hot air out the top, also the front two will cool down any graphics cards and HDD, if you leave the set up as you plan i suspect you leave a hotspot around your graphics card

Soldato
I'd try front intake, top exhaust, and rear intake personally. If you have more exhaust than intake, then you'll get dust buildups everywhere the air is being sucked into the case (Front grill, side grills, PCIe slots etc etc.)

Soldato
What is it with the fixation on heat rises => the top fans should be exhaust on here. The pressure involved from hotter air going upwards is negligible compared with the pressure generated by the fans, so feel free to have fans on the top pointing downwards.

The answer is trial and error I'm afraid. Failing that, could you tell us what graphics cards are in this system, and whether they are dual slot or single? Also, can the psu be inverted if desired, such that it draws air in from inside the case? If you don't specify the components in more detail we can't help. Without such detail the above mess of contradictions results.

Soldato
OP
The case is lian-li pc 50 armour suit, the psu has a grill in bottom of case so is getting its cool air from below case so that can really be not included in the air flow of the case i suppose.

I have 3 hdds in behind the front bottom fan.

The graphics card is a gainward dual slot 4850, idle temps are really good on this and so are load, it exhaust its hot air straight out the case.

The front fans are filtered and there is a filter below the psu also , no other have filters as yet, didnt think about filters to be honest

I was trying to keep some possitive presure in the case to try to cut down the dust also

Also when a custom 5870 comes out i will be upgrading to that, in the hope the cooling will be better than ati's offering

Soldato
That's most of the questions, thank you. You haven't said whether the psu can be the other way up or not however. I can't be bothered to ask google.

Two fans as front intake. The one with the hard drives behind wont be achieving much beyond keeping them cold, but this is fine. Top two as intake. H50 as exhaust. Graphics card also acts as rear exhaust. Turn the psu the other way up if possibly you can, despite there being a pretty grill below it.

You need balanced airflow, not savagely positive pressure. This is why turning the psu over will help. Second, you do not want hot air coming out of the graphics card then being drawn straight into the H50. Third, top intakes will keep the air over the cpu socket pretty close to ambient, allowing the H50 access to cool air and keeping the ram from overheating. A potential issue is the motherboard chipset; if you have options for moving the graphics card you may want to consider moving it down and leaving the psu with the intake downwards.

Soldato
OP
The psu could be the other way but, the wires are a lot easier to hide and they just reach the cpu power from behind the motherboard tray the way it is now.

I have a corsair memory cooler fan over the memory aswell.

with what you say for the two front as intake and the h50 as exhaust and keeping in mind the psu will be as is due to cable lengths, would i be able to use the top two fans as one an intake and one an exhaust or wouldnt that really be any good

Soldato
What is it with the fixation on heat rises => the top fans should be exhaust on here. The pressure involved from hotter air going upwards is negligible compared with the pressure generated by the fans
Applies only if whole top is fan: While below fan heat can be forced downwards next to fan it rises upwards.

Soldato
Fair point esat. Whole top of my case is fan, and this one is a fair approximation to it. Otherwise you'd set up forced convection quite effectively, with potentially little benefit.

One top as intake and one as exhaust is an odd thing to try, I'd hazard a guess that you'd be better with both fans removed. However I've not tried this. With the top two as intake it is unlikely that you need the corsair fan, as I think one of them will be aimed straight between the modules.

May as well leave the psu that way up then, strengthens the argument for moving the gpu towards the psu.

CSA

CSA

Associate
Altho some recommend having the H50 fan as exhaust ive just tried it now and according to my temps its 4-5c hotter running 15 minutes of prime

intake@load = 53 to 56

Exhaust@load = 58 to 60

it makes sence i guess as its sucking air which has already heated up i the case,ambient in the case is bound to be warmer than outside the case, so im going to have to change the fans back round to intake,i need to find a good filter tho that i can remove and clean easily which i suspect is going to be easier said than done :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Altho some recommend having the H50 fan as exhaust ive just tried it now and according to my temps its 4-5c hotter running 15 minutes of prime

intake@load = 53 to 56

Exhaust@load = 58 to 60

it makes sence i guess as its sucking air which has already heated up i the case,ambient in the case is bound to be warmer than outside the case, so im going to have to change the fans back round to intake,i need to find a good filter tho that i can remove and clean easily which i suspect is going to be easier said than done :(

yes makes sense to have it set as intake, should imagine it wouldnt take long to glog that radiator up, maybe a week i bet, it would definatly need some sort of filter

CSA

CSA

Associate
yeah they sell filters here BUT in my antec 902 the mesh is concaved on the back where the 120mm fan is so i'd have to put the filter on the inside of the case which means having to unscrew the fans every time i want to clean it :(

If i can find some kind of unit that a filter slides in and out of that can be fitted to the back of my case that would be better , much like the front fans on my 902

Back
Top Bottom