• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870X2 2GB or 5870 1Gb or GF 295 or wait for 5870x2!?

Associate
Hi there,

Really itching to by a PC and not sure what to do about the gfx card. Will be using for games, desktop use etc. Not a huge gaming guy but would rather do the best I can right now before upgrading again in the distant future.

So what do you say?

Should I go for the:

4870X2 2GB (Sapphire; £250) or
5870 1GB (approx £310) or
Gefore 295 (approx £350) or just wait for the 5870X2!?

Is there really much of a difference between these cards? e.g. the 4870X2 against the Geforce 295? I take it that the 4870X2 is faster than the 5870 right?

All advice and responses are appreciated!!

Thanks

Rixx

Associate
I take it that the 4870X2 is faster than the 5870 right

Yes and no, same against the GTX 295. Bare in mind both those cards are dual GPU solutions, so the fact the 5870 is beating them in quite a few cases is impressive, not to mention it uses less power at peak and idle. Also bare in mind the 5870 is the only one out of those which supports DX11, so its ready for the new DX11 titles coming out end of this year/2010 and beyond.

4870X2 is already EOL, meaning they aren't made any more, so they are hard to come by new, the GTX 295 will be following suit in a few months.

Driver maturity is also going to play a key role in the 5870's performance, so we should see improvements as new Catalyst drivers are released.

Price wise, if you are looking to pay GTX 295 money for a card, you can't not avoid the 5870.

If you can find a cheap second hand 4870X2 for say around £140, then grab that!

Permabanned
those are all top end cards for hardcore gamers, you may want to save £100 and consider a radeon 5850

I agree with the second part, but top end cards aren't for hardcore gamers, as most hardcore gamers do weird things, they play their games at low settings, low res and high contrast.

But yeah, currently, I don't think the 5870 is worth its price, the 5850 is much better value.

Associate
crossfire 5850, I got sucked into the 5870 hype and bought the 5870. Crossfire 5850 actually out perform single 5870 and better value for money.

Permabanned
Ooooo. ouch.

:p

Well what I mean is that hardcore gamers are like an anti-climax. You'd think they would love the high-end hardware and so on, but most of these hardcore gamers don't care about graphics, they sit playing low-res on CRT monitors with low details and high contrast to make spotting other players easier.

I on the other hand, am not a hardcore gamer, but I love the high end hardware and playing games with all the eyecandy on.

At least, that's the definition of hardcore gaming to me.

It's like extreme ironing, what's the point?

Associate
:p

Well what I mean is that hardcore gamers are like an anti-climax. You'd think they would love the high-end hardware and so on, but most of these hardcore gamers don't care about graphics, they sit playing low-res on CRT monitors with low details and high contrast to make spotting other players easier.

I on the other hand, am not a hardcore gamer, but I love the high end hardware and playing games with all the eyecandy on.

At least, that's the definition of hardcore gaming to me.

It's like extreme ironing, what's the point?

He's right, I know many pro cs+css gamers who have terrible computers!

Associate
OP
Gents, thanks for the replies..

I found a used 4870X2 for £200 - is this worth the investment? A new one costs £250 so only a £50 saving. I do however, get a 1 year warranty on the used one..

Any intelligent guesses on when the 5870X2 might be released? I hear that this is going to be in the £400-500 mark. Any truth to this?

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Just a thought - how would a 4870X2 in crossfire compare?

All in all this would cost £450 - worth the investment? Surely, this is likely to be the price of a single 5870X2 approx?

Back
Top Bottom