Be Internet- Connection Issues with Source Games

Associate
there's a new firmware due out soon that fixes all these irritations, so you can just use upnp and not have to worry about manual PAT and firewall rules

Associate
More options and more control over ones you already have. See if there's an updated official fimware and try that (or the one already on it), if it transpire you need more options/control you can always add dd-wrt in future.

Associate
OP
OK, I have plugged the linksys router's internet port into the first ethernet port on the BeBox.
I have left me main rig plugged into the second port on the Bebox, and I have my HTPC plugged into the first port on the linksys.

So far the Linksys is not picking up the internet from the Bebox.

I have used my main PC to connect to the Bebox (which is a Thompson TG585v7), but cannot find any options to bridge the connection. Does anyone know how I can tell it to interface with the Linksys?

Thanks

Associate
Nothing ever simple with that thing.

It'll depend on what firmware version you've got, if you log in, go to gateway and click on setup and follow the wizard*, then disable the wireless, firewall etc. Then connect the wan port of the router to lan 1 of the box and you pc to lan 1 of the router. Assuming the bebox ip is 192.168.1.254, set the router's ip address to 192.168.0.1, set the wan type, save and reboot. You'll need to renew the dhcp on your pc to connect again (or reboot).

*If that doesn't work you can either install the tempate on the be forum or install the beta firmware. The beta firmware is here just to make life difficult you can't simply flash,you have to use the tomson installer meaning you have to change your ip to the one in the readme to get it to work, but then it's just a case of using the wizard. The template is here. I haven't tried it though, It's more thna a year old, I just flashed the firemware myself so I can't say how well it works.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry, I am still a little confused.

Right now the BeBox has wireless and firewall disabled. Other than that it is set up to use the static IP that I receive with my service.
I found no options on the BeBox to interface with a router, so assume that is all on the Linksys.

I have the 1st ethernet port on the BeBox connecting to the Internet port on my linksys router.

Am I right in thinking that all the configuration now has to be done on the Linksys router?
I have found a page in the Linksys setup to allow advanced routing, and it looks like I can set the router to connect to the BeBox. Some of the settings are confusing me though.

The linksys router would like the following info under advanced routing:

Operating Mode: Router/Gateway - I chose Gateway as I assume thats what I'm trying to connect to.

Destination IP- (I am not sure what to put here, I tried putting the IP of the BeBox 192.168.1.252, but then it asks me for a gateway IP. I also tried putting in my static IP but this was uneventful)

Subnet Mask- I assume is 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP- this is where I was putting the IP of the BeBox.

Interface: Wireless and LAN / WAN (Internet) - Here I chose WAN (Internet)

On the basic routing page I have it to automatic configuration DHCP (Although I assume my settings in advanced routing override this?

BTW my BeBox software version is 7.4.20.3.

Sorry if all this is a bit confusing, I have been tweaking the settings for a while now and no joy.

Soldato
Hutchy,

To get your Netgear 834G router working with BE did you have to call BE to allow to use your own router (*I'm sure I've heard this) or are there a number of settings you have to change?

My 834G sync'd with the server but never was issued a IP. "LCP Down"

you may just need to change to LLC based VCI = 101 vci = 0

settings found in adsl settings on my router netgear

Soldato
you may just need to change to LLC based VCI = 101 vci = 0

settings found in adsl settings on my router netgear

In addition sometimes you may find it still doesn't work for a while due to lease being tied to the MAC address, but most routers incl the Netgears (at least using DGTeam firmware) let you yse another MAC address.

Associate
First things first, reset the router and put it aside. It's bridging the box that's the difficult part, the new firmeware would be ideal but it's buggy and a bad flash will require basic telnet skills so well go with the template. If anything goes wrong with that it's just hold down the reset button. Remember though, only use IE when configuring the bebox, there are glitches using other browsers. To renew your ip you can either reboot or simply disable & then enable your lan adapter (network & sharing centre > manage connections/network connections, rclick on local area connection then disable/enable).

Edit: Flashing the beta firmware is by far the simplest and easiest method of bridging the bebox, but don't chose that route unless you have a spare modem that you already know works. You wouldn't want to be locked out of the interwebz :p

1. Download and extract the template from this thread (http://web.bethere.co.uk/usergroup/bridge-585v7.zip), read the two bridging files, follow the bridging steps. Follow the bridging mode guide i.e assign yourself the static ip (network & sharing > local area connection > properties > internet protocol version 4), log into the router and bridge it. Remember and check the firewall and wireless are off.

2. Unplug your pc and set the bebox aside, remove the static ip you assigned your pc and connect the pc to the router (renew your ip). Connect the routers wan to lan 1 of the bebox. Log into the router and go to settings > basic. Your connection type is static, enter the static ip, subnet mask & gateway ip be gave you not the ip of the router, dns servers are up to you, open dns are 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 208.67.220.222. Set the routers local ip address to 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, save and reboot. Renew your pcs ip and log back into the router, the routers DHCP should have changed automatically.

That should be it really. If it isn't working then double check the routers settings (hard to go wrong with only 8 fields) and assuming they're correct then the issue is almost certainly the bebox. You could try resetting it and reapplying the template but you'd also have to connect your pc to the modem again and reassign the static ip to log back in etc.

The beta firmware simply uses a 3 click wizard to bridge the modem, but people have had issues logging in after flashing it. If you still haven't got it bridged (or thrown it out the window) then head over to the Be Forum, Be Box & Other Routers, the firmwares the sticky at the top but start a thread first, you'll get more specific support there than here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom