Amazingly poor speeds on new O2 connection

Soldato
I'm in a similar scenario, getting 1mb-2mb speeds.

Rang o2, they have said nothing can be done about it basically. "Up to 8mb" means up 8mb and ANYTHING below, even so they have advised my line is also capable of 6.5mb.

To make matters worse, I'm out of 30 day cooling off period due to being on holiday for 2 weeks and they want £211 to cancel my contract. Pretty damn sickening :(

Snap but getting 0.58Mb/s :(

Not tried the cancelling stuff yet. Looking for a legal angle to work with too....this line is unusable now :(

Soldato
OP
Mine was jumped up to around 3-4mbits now.

I will see how it goes over the next week, if its consistant I will leave it alone, if its rubbish I will jump ship to an LLU provider considering how good my line is.

Soldato
OP
I just use speedtest.net

I have tested it at night weekdays and daytime weekday mornings and weekend afternoon (the connection started working on Sunday, even though it wasn't meant to be switched on until Monday).

Soldato
I just use speedtest.net

I have tested it at night weekdays and daytime weekday mornings and weekend afternoon (the connection started working on Sunday, even though it wasn't meant to be switched on until Monday).

in your case i'd get out while you still can. :)

i love my o2 LLU but their "access" service has always sucked.

Soldato
I'm gonna go with it being a disgrace since the 'service' they provide is barely usable at times :(

However a lot of being on hold today my dad discovered that apparently our exchange is being moved over to LLU next week so there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.....

Soldato
OP
@marc2003 My work uses enta and the connection is appauling. frequent timeouts and no connectivity. When it does work the download speed is fine, but the uploads regularly fail.

You are also correct about the distance selling act. however for services i believe it is 14 days. Still if you go on holiday, as Psymonkee did there is no-one to blame but yourself really. Best to try and work with the company to find a solution.

Soldato
you are joking right? enta are in complete meltdown at the moment.

Completely agree.

I just moved away from ADSL24 because all I got were high pings, slow speeds and excuses as to why nothing worked as it did 2 months prior. I moved to Be* a few weeks ago and haven't looked back since :) My sync double and my download speed almost trippled which was thanks to getting away from BT's **** profiling system. So now I am getting double the speed for £12 less per month :)

ADSL24 were the best of the worst for me, but I just cannot justify paying £30 a month for a 3-4mb line when I get a 7mb line from Be* for much less.

Soldato
@marc2003 My work uses enta and the connection is appauling. frequent timeouts and no connectivity. When it does work the download speed is fine, but the uploads regularly fail.

You are also correct about the distance selling act. however for services i believe it is 14 days. Still if you go on holiday, as Psymonkee did there is no-one to blame but yourself really. Best to try and work with the company to find a solution.

Oi! I never went on holiday! :p I just have a bad connection on an over subscribed service :(

Soldato
OP
Fair enough. Sorry.

I called o2 yesterday as despite a speedtest result of 2.5mbs I was not able to watch iplayer at all.

After the standard BT line test and someother stuff the guy on tech support agrees there is a problem. I didn't have enough to time to stay on the phone, be he now wants me open my phone socket so I can plug the router into the test socket.

I'm not sure why he can't understand that my actual line is fine and the problem is at the other end.

I will call this evening and if don't sort it I will be leaving.

Caporegime
Fighting their troubleshooting methods won't get a problem resolved, it's infinitely easier to just go along with the steps (or pretend you are) than to try and explain why it's not the issue.

Associate
Fair enough. Sorry.

I called o2 yesterday as despite a speedtest result of 2.5mbs I was not able to watch iplayer at all.

After the standard BT line test and someother stuff the guy on tech support agrees there is a problem. I didn't have enough to time to stay on the phone, be he now wants me open my phone socket so I can plug the router into the test socket.

I'm not sure why he can't understand that my actual line is fine and the problem is at the other end.

I will call this evening and if don't sort it I will be leaving.

the reason you're being asked to do this is to take any noise out of the equation. if you've got noise at physical layer, you'll see packets dropped which is a problem with UDP traffic such as iplayer/streaming. like the dude above said, these fault processes all have a purpose, you have to 'jump through some hoops' to try and narrow down the issue.

Back
Top Bottom