Doom 3: The Dark Mod (or Doom 3: Thief mod - in case you were wondering)

Soldato
http://www.thedarkmod.com/

Beta released. I've not got time to play this just now but had an eye on it for a while. Some of the pre-release videos I've seen look very impressive.

Overview

Q: What is The Dark Mod?

A: The Dark Mod is a total conversion mod for Doom 3, which recreates the moody stealth experience reminiscent of the 'Thief' games from Looking Glass Studios.

Q: So is it a game?

Technically, no. It's primarily a toolset, allowing fans to create their own missions in a medieval steampunk environment. When you download the mod, the only thing you can play immediately is the Training Mission. You have to download other missions separately (see our download page for more details).

Several missions have already been released for download, and more will be completed in the weeks following the release.

Q: What do I need in order to play?

A: Other than TDM itself, you must have a copy of Doom 3. TDM works with the steam version of Doom 3 if you can't find one locally. You must also have the most recent D3 patch.

Q: What if I want to make a mission?

A: Our team has also created a specialized editor--Dark Radiant--to make creating fan missions much, much easier. Visit the main Dark Radiant page here: http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

Q: Is this the same thing as Thief?

A: The gameplay is very similar, yes. However, The Dark Mod takes place in a different setting. We make no references to any Thief trademarks or Eidos' intellectual property. The Dark Mod is not "Thief"--there is no Garrett, no Keepers, no Mechanists, etc. However, since both Thief and The Dark Mod are based on a steampunk version of our own history, there are plenty of similarities.

Q: If I make a fan mission, can I use Garrett, Hammerites, etc?

A: We can't control what people do, but we would prefer that those using our work do not break copyright laws. We will not host or officially support any fan efforts that use intellectual property belonging to Eidos.

Q: Is there an instruction manual?

A: We have an extensive wiki with lots of information for players and mappers.

Soldato
Looks really neat
icon14.gif
Will keep an eye on it :D

Back
Top Bottom