Panasonic AVCHD in to iMovie09 or Final Cut Express 4.0?

Associate
Hello

I have been digging for information on how feasible it will be to edit the high def AVCHD video produced by my Panasonic HDC-SD200 camcorder on my Mac (Snow Leopard). I read that the files can not be edited natively in FCE4 or iMovie09? I read that they must first be converted and that the converted files will be MUCH bigger :( Is this true? If so that really sucks.

Thanks,
Dub

Associate
OP
well i copied all of the .mts files from my SD card on to my hard drive. I then went to FCE4 and selected import. The MTS files are greyed out. It won't even let me select them for conversion to aic.

Associate
OP
that's the problem - i just copied the .mts files off the camcroder. In future i will plug the camera in but for now i need to find a way to get these files in to imovie. I tried using voltaichd to convert to hd quicktime movies. This allowed me to import in to final cut express 4.. but not imovie. I really want to get them in to imovie to take advantage of the automated intro generation and ease of use.

Associate
OP
I'll try it.. problem is i already tried moving them in to Apple Intermediate Codec format and they only load in to FCE4.. iMovie won't take them :( I used VoltaicHD for the conversion.

Associate
OP
Ok i got lucky - turns out I dumped my entire SD card contents in to a directory each time i emptied it and i kept those directories archived. I am guessing that imovie and fce use some of the other files in the directory in conjunction with the .mts files when doing the conversion.

I have actually decided to go down the adobe premiere elements route as this seems to allow me to work with the files natively (i.e. no conversion required) and also seems to allow me to work at 1080. The output options in imovie max out at 720 - if i'm going to pass it on to fce i might as well just work with adobe premiere since i would lose the titles i like so much anyway. One interesting point to note by the way is that if you use the media browser in premiere the files are not recognised as avchd unless all those other files apart from the mts files are present too.

Moral of the story - archive your entire card not just the mts files!

Back
Top Bottom