• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reccomend me a CPU (755 for under £100)

Associate
OP
current CPU is a pentium D 820, its 3-4 years old.
I'm going to invest in a new motherboard, so if there are any AMD CPU's that are good in my budget for socket AM2 (don't wanna pay for ddr3).

Associate
OP
Ok, so which is better AMD or intel?

I quite like the sound of the athlon II x4, it says its socket AM3, and AM3 coolers seem to be more expensive than 755 coolers... or have I just been looking in completely the wrong place?

Soldato
u should wait a bit as in January theres is going to be new 775 cpu under 100$

On January 17th

Intel is getting ready to launch a new E6600 CPU but this time it won't be Core 2 Duo, it's a Pentium. The CPU is not really that exciting but it is the first Pentium processor in 45nm Core 2 generation to get over 3GHz.

It will run at 3.06GHz and it has two cores and supports two threads, as well as 2MB cache and 1066FSB. It stilll uses the good old socket LGA775 and when it launches on January 17th it will sell for $84.

At the same day Pentium E6500 the chap that shares the same spec but runs at 2.93GHz will drop from current $84 to $74.

2 cores 2 threads sound very good to me

source : http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16050/1/

Associate
I would go for the athlon II x4 4 core for under 100 is steal. I guess your reusing DDR2 from your pentium D rather than buying DDR3cause DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2 now. ATM all AM3 CPU's are backwards compatable with AM2+ boards so you shouldn't have a problem running an AthlonII or PhenomII in AM2+socket boards. You might wanna check out phenomII 720 tri-core. Its a monster if you can find one for under 100 and the 550 can hit 3.6easily enough. If your lucky you might be able to unlock some cores too and get a quad for the price of a dual. Just depends on the mobo tho so you would need to check that out 1st.

Associate
you can make insainly cheep systems from the AMD sets(AM2+ is a rather cheep format atm, but its going out.... happy days it works with am3!(ports not processors))

as for choice, its completely up 2 u, whatever u prefer, both manufacturers work, and pretty well, some argue that the prive diffrence of inter-AMD is about quality(i would tend to disagree realy) (intel being on avarage more expencive).

if you want realy cheep theres bundles with mobos ram and a processor for <100 on a few websites(cant say as its advertising a competitor).

Back
Top Bottom