Next Gaming Rig

Soldato
OP
Here is the P55 rig I made, any good?
EVGA P55 F T W (comes up *** for some reason) also has 775 cooler sockets so that widens the cooler range :)

windows 7 is pre-ordered so no need for ordering that now :)

GAMINGRIG.png

I'm putting a 5850 on later, so I picked something decent to replace my current PC GPU card :)

Associate
I have to say I myself am torn and undecided, the above graph shows a different story to what others say about the AMD platform with gaming.

AMD and i5 seem closely matched for price, AMD is less overclockable at 3.8 but it is comparable to the DO 920 in power draw, but does it have as much trouble as i5 with heat and reliable OC?

I still don't know what I want, but due to i5 being so new, I am guessing there will be improvements in a few months time to that platform and that it may be worth waiting? I keep up-speccing my choices to i7 but the platform and hardware is a year old now, and Crossfire, well it seems more heat and other issues which I am probably best avoiding.

I myself game at 1600 +1200 and will probably be doing above that after Xmas. Hmmm Intel i5 or AMD 955?

Permabanned
sastusbulbas;
at that res you dont need to even consider xfire or SLI, so unless youve got any plans to buy a new monitor Id base a system around a single card set up. Given that for your needs 1156 is superior to 1366 (1366 is better for dual cards due to x16/x16 - 1156 is better for single due to onchip PCI-E controller) so your choice is narrowed down to either 1156 or AM3.
To be honest though theres no hard and fast one platform better than the other, all the results show each platform within a few fps of each other, and these vary depending on system set up, mobo brand, gfx card brand etc etc
Personally if I were building a new system now Id go for an i5 purely for the lower power consumption and heat output, however some people arent bothered by this

Associate
To be honest though theres no hard and fast one platform better than the other, all the results show each platform within a few fps of each other, and these vary depending on system set up, mobo brand, gfx card brand etc etc
Personally if I were building a new system now Id go for an i5 purely for the lower power consumption and heat output, however some people arent bothered by this[/QUOTE]

+1 don,t normally get good advice on here but somethime there are a few who do ;)

Associate
sastusbulbas;
at that res you dont need to even consider xfire or SLI, so unless youve got any plans to buy a new monitor Id base a system around a single card set up. Given that for your needs 1156 is superior to 1366 (1366 is better for dual cards due to x16/x16 - 1156 is better for single due to onchip PCI-E controller) so your choice is narrowed down to either 1156 or AM3.
Personally if I were building a new system now Id go for an i5 purely for the lower power consumption and heat output, however some people arent bothered by this

Yes I had thought along the lines of lower power consumption myself, I have managed to put a budget of £800 together, but after reading some magazines and looking at the prices and performance comparisons with i7 I suspect i5 will mature to a better proposition in a few months. Right now we have a superior i7 platform with hardware a year old with the 1156 platform below it giving less performance with only a minor cost saving :rolleyes:
I was planning on gaming on a 1080 plasma TV with everything maxed out. A 24" PC monitor and a 1080 HD are as high as I would require resolution.

I wil probably get a new settee or such and re-consider when the magazines and tech review sites decide to give honest comarable opinion based on real life screen resolutions and situations LOL. I mean, right now Custom PC state it as inferior to 1366 yet the cost is comparable, and I would rather not buy any of the current 1366 motherboards, they are about a year old.

Associate
I was wondering if I'd ask here or just start a new thread but I'd ask anyway...
So I have a P35 mobo and a Q6600 with a max OC of 3.4GHz. I've been using this for 1.5 years now and I was wondering if I shoud upgrade to something that will last me another 1.5 years (or more) or stick to my mobo+cpu a little longer? I was thinking of an X58 + i7 920 Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom