Palm Pre launched today

Associate
"all over the TV"? Watched a fair bit recently and not seen a single advert for it.

If Palm really want to take on the iPhone, they need to be forking out for prime-time spots in the middle of things like X-Factor.

They had adverts during X-Factor for it!

Personally I am waiting for some more user feedback before I possibly purchase one....I do want to get rid of my iPhone though!! :mad:

Permabanned
I played with one for about 20 mins on Saturday and was not impressed at all by it.

The slide out keyboard is a total waste of time imo, the keys are tiny, would be ok if you had child-like hands I guess.

Pretty slow to use as well although updates could sort that out.

Associate
have a look also at the new Palm Pixi - as a long term Palm owner - I will probably go for the pixi if I can find one on the bay at a decent price!

khushy

Man of Honour
just bought on of these for missus....

iphone abit to big and bulky and this her first touch / smart phone.

as a long term winmo user (using 6.5 on omnia atm) it's miles ahead.. used for about 3 hrs last night playing with it.

gets a little slow at times, but no more than any other phone, and the multitasking GUI is the best I've seen on any phone with tasks shown as 'cards', it's a joy to use... didn't the same guy who designed the iphone UI design it ?, it shows but takes it to a whole new level

the way everything is controled with gestures is also very smart. palm app store works well also, though quite empty atm compared with iphone :)

i really like it :)

on 02, 24month, 35 a month tariff, 600 min 500 txt unlimited data / web

Last edited:
Associate
I'm really tempted to get one of these but would need to but it sim free in order to stick my Voda sim in there.......

Only problem is sim free units ship with a QWERTZ keyboard and I'm not sure if I could get used to this:(

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah i found the demo units really slow as well, even when just doing the basic stuff.
There was a "demo" running in the background all the time so maybe that is what was doing it. Certainly not what i was expecting based on the reviews.

I am seriously tempted by one because i really want a physical keyboard but I think I will wait a bit for the new wave of Android phones to see what they are like, the Droid in particular looks great and Android has plenty of development support. Just really love the WebOS UI. Far and away the best smartphone UI at this stage. The card system is great.

Associate
It's all gone quiet in this thread, how are people getting on with this handset?

I'm still trying to decide between this and the HD2..........

Caporegime
Palm is a dying breed im afraid to say...even in America where it was doing well...its losing out to Blackberry and now Android.

Wouldnt be surprised if they go bust soon...they just cant compete anymore although the Pre and new Pixi look like decent handsets.

Soldato
I tried one out this weekend and I've got to say that I really liked it, but then I like Palm kit and the older Palm OS

If it wasn't an O2 exclusive I would have probably bought it. As it is, and as I cannot afford to get it sim free (I don't know if you can!) I will get something else.

Surely as it's such an important phone to them they would have wanted to get it on all of the networks for maximum sales?

Associate
I had a quck play on one a few days ago and the tiny keyboard put me off staight away. Im still drawn to either an Iphone or a Smsung Galaxy

Back
Top Bottom