VELOCIRAPTOR drive?

Soldato
Better than a spinpoint, not as good as an SSD.

I bought 4x 80Gb VRs and put them in RAID0 and they fly.... but I was only able to do this as I got the drives really cheap from the states. Also as they are 10k drives too, they are not the quietest of drives. They are not noisy per se, but they have a high pitched 'whine' to them which some people have commented on. I think they are no worse than my WD Greens.

Last edited:
Soldato
SSD beats either of them, as a system drive a Velociraptor is better then the F3, if you're working with bigger files the F3 will be faster then the Velociraptor.

Associate
Raptors = noise

I had 2 old WD raptors and they made a DIN

I then upgraded to a VR - less DIN but still DIN

Then I got a samsung 320gb x and raid-0 and couldnt notice any perf drops
and it was quieter

If you want a major "noticeable" upgrade to your PC get a SSD, a good one; crucial , intel.

Associate
Murfi99

My 10,000rpm 300gb velociraptor drives about 80% full but was recently defragged if that matters?!?

Noise?!"?!? nope only way u know your hdd is working is if u look for the flashing light on front of case.

any spinpoint owners like to put up their crystal results for comparison?

Im selling this drive as soon as my ssds arrive, how do i post in members market? is there like a post quota before you can?

Soldato
ive got 4 of the 300gb ones in RAID, they are 3feet from the side of my head at head height and they are practically silent.
Previously i had a 150gb raptor which was silent, and a 74gb which made a racket

Associate
OP
so the conclusion is 74gb ones are crap and 150gb,300gb ones are worth getting? i am not gonna raid thes, but how much performance gain from a unraid Velociraptor compare to raid 0 samsung spinpoint f3? as one of these cost as much as three spinpoints!

Back
Top Bottom