Saab 93

Associate
I'm returning to the UK in December for a few years and will be needing a car. Looking at spending abut 10k, need 4 doors, new as possible.

Having had a quick squint at Autotrader it looks like I can get a 2 year old Saab 93 with low mileage for round about the 10k mark. This looks like a good option, having owned a Saab a while back and liked it. I have looked at comparable BMW's and from what I can see for the same money I would be looking at an older vehicle with higher mileage.

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.

Associate
I'm fairly sure the 9-3 uses the Vectra's platform and engines (diesels). Bear that in mind if your looking for driving dynamics.

Man of Honour
I have an 09 plate 9-3 aero ttid hirsch. done around 13000 miles in it now and its a cracking car. You sir are wrong.

;)

Have you driven a BMW 325d M Sport or a Mercedes C250 CDI Sport?

In isolation, perhaps if you've only ever driven Fiestas and a Corsa before, I can see how the Saab might be cracking. However when sensibly compared to its rivals, it's a bit crud.

The 9-3 wasn't a credible rival to Mercedes or BMW back in the E46 days, it certainly isn't now both Mercedes and BMW have had new models for quite a few years yet Saab is still peddling the E46 rival it built on a Vectra and released 7 years ago.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments so far and I knew we would get some anti GM feeling coming through, some of which I'm sure is justified. I'm not looking at comparing a new Saab 93 with its BMW counterpart but I am looking at the comparison between a 10k Saab 93 and a 10k BMW (anything excluding the 1 series), if you see what I mean.

The Saab I previously owned was one of the first GM associated 900's if I remember correctly and although not the most exciting drive it didn't let me down for a lot of years and was cheap to run. I had a bike to provide all the motoring thrills I required.

Associate
[TW]Fox;15131574 said:
Have you driven a BMW 325d M Sport or a Mercedes C250 CDI Sport?

In isolation, perhaps if you've only ever driven Fiestas and a Corsa before, I can see how the Saab might be cracking. However when sensibly compared to its rivals, it's a bit crud.

The 9-3 wasn't a credible rival to Mercedes or BMW back in the E46 days, it certainly isn't now both Mercedes and BMW have had new models for quite a few years yet Saab is still peddling the E46 rival it built on a Vectra and released 7 years ago.

Yup..i gave myself a budget of 35k max for a new car...borrowed for 24 hours a 5 series 520d m sport..a 3 series 320d m sport and the merc c class 220d amg sport (the 250 wasnt out at the time) amongst a few others and put my hard earned money on the saab. As nice as all the others were I personally found them uninspiring..go figure eh. Like I said in 6 months I've done around 13k miles in it and love it..the new re-ax steering system is just sublime..I love the torqs and smoothness of it too..but hey its my personel opinion. The point is..I spent my money and haven't regretted it for a minute.

As for you assumption about the fiestas and corsa's etc..Its been a long time since I've been in that league i'm afraid..my memory is a little faded.

i'm not slating the bmw's or any of the others for that matter...they were all very nice..just boring to drive

;)

Associate
OP
Need: 4 door, 5 seats.
Priorities: Reliable, comfortable, get me to work and good for longer trips (Europe).
Fuel: Diesel or petrol.

Currently own a Nissan X-Trail and Mazda 3 (in Aus).

In the past always had big bikes for my vehicular thrills.

Back
Top Bottom