Arma2 current state?

Associate
hello all

got flashpoint 2 which is great in the mission editor but dont like the 64 unit cap.

im thinking of buying arma2 because of its editor, but i dont know what its current current state is after its the patchs it has.

any one here like to fill me in on how the game plays?
maybe tell me how it compares to flashpoint 2?

cheers.

Associate
the editor and community mods are pretty much the driving force behind this game... buying arma2 for its editor alone is a pretty good reason, even if u missout on half the game.

Associate
After getting really frustrated with the state that OFDR was released in I'm going to buy this, only problem is most of my mates had their way with this when it originally came out. Does this have a solid online following going

Permabanned
Arma2 is running a lot better under the latest patch

Definitely worth getting , but it still a hard unforgiving game , so if you aint good at shooting or tactics then you might find it frustrating

Soldato
its not perfect - but its well worth the asking price

its superb in a lot of respects and frustrating in others - but as an overall military experience its un-surpassed IMO

Associate
For those interested in Arma2, there is a thread (2 to be precise, for some reason) covering the use of a RAMdrive to hold some of the main game files, since they cause a lot of the stutter and flicker in the game :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88388

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88629

I have 6Gb on XP32 (had 2Gb and upgraded to 4Gb earlier this year but never bothered with the remaining 2Gb), so set up a 4Gb disk and moved the same files (3.21Gb of mainly islands, buildings and flora) as listed in the thread over to the RAMdisk. The difference is a much, much smoother game without stutter (unless flying over the larger towns in a Harrier) and almost all texture flickering gone. I don't think the FPS increased per se, but the average must have moved up significantly.

Since the software is a trial at the moment, and I already had the memory, it has cost me nothing so far, so easily cheaper than the CPU/GPU/SSD upgrade I was looking at to improve things. Of course, now I want a motherboard to host more than the 8Gb total I can at the moment . . .

cjph

Associate
I can't get a steady 40FPS with the spec in my sig, so I haven't really touched it since I bought it. I'll try when a new patch is released but i don't have high hopes.

Associate
I've only got a lowly E5200 (at 3.7GHz admitedly) and 8800GTS 512, and get mid 30 framerates in most places with details all on normal. The FPS does not seem to change with a RAMdisk, but I think the min values go up and the whole visual experience is much better, and even better the cost is zero (for now, until I have to purchase RAMdisk software or find a freeware one).

cjph

Back
Top Bottom