Smash :(

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Aaargh.

I have become another statistic. An 18 year old male who has stuffed his car. Wahay me. Day after my birthday :D

NSL Country road, driving home, going round a blind bend at about 30mph, road wet and greasy, car in front braked hard to avoid hitting one in front of it, I couldn't stop in time, smash.

Car I hit was a big sprinter van, dented the rear door and bumper.

My car is a little bit more seriously effected, front end caved in quite a bit, need new wings, bonnet, a panels....

But, I'm alive and not too badly hurt, just a sore back and neck.

I'll put some pics up of the car in it's sorry state but we are more than likely gonna go ahead and repair the bugger, although with some significant changes.

1) Conversion back to carb, SPI is a pain in the arse and I can make a fair bit of cash back selling the ECU and bits (£90 for a used ECU!)
2) Fibreglass front end + lots of bracing. Step dad is experienced with fibreglass and it's gonna be easier, and cheaper all round.
3) Respray, in a base colour of sorts. Possibly black or a matt green... any ideas folks?

Annoying and frustrating but I made a mistake and will learn from it. Life goes on.

Insurance costs will be a laugh next year :cool:

Soldato
Doh! Good to hear nobody was hurt.

Chalk it down to experience and watch your distances. I'm sure you've heard it enough times already though. :)

Soldato
Not you as well!

8524_161511948645_671138645_3594276_2124741_n.jpg

Soldato
Been there, know how you feel. Sounds like you're going about it with the right attitude though so good luck getting everything sorted :)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
OP
Regarding the fitment of fibreglass front ends; we've found them to be fairly good on all cars we've seen, plus we can do alterations without much work as we're experienced with fibreglass from my step dad's powerboat :)

Permabanned
Regarding the fitment of fibreglass front ends; we've found them to be fairly good on all cars we've seen, plus we can do alterations without much work as we're experienced with fibreglass from my step dad's powerboat :)

They never look right to me and I've seen hundreds back from when I used to race Minis. The best one I had was a Curley one with separate bonnet.

Associate
Totally gutted! What is it with Sprinters and cars round this way? Nothing but trouble! Atleast you have got a good plan of attack for getting the car back on the road. Hope it goes well.

Soldato
Horrible being in an accident on country roads, I remember no so long back, smashing into the back of someone at about 50ish, christ, when i look at the wreck i dunno how we got out unharmed.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
OP
I'm really up for getting it all sorted to be honest. It's gonna be good to get it done all right how I want it :)

Just gotta source a decent carb engine for a non silly price first.

Caporegime
Aaargh.

I have become another statistic. An 18 year old male who has stuffed his car. Wahay me. Day after my birthday :D

not surprising

As somebody who crashed 3 times before he turned 20 i'm not being condescending (sp?)

You simply cant teach experience, nor can the driving lessons teach you what happens when you think drive in such a way that you think is inside your limit, only to find its not when you get there, .. its not. The lessons teach you that your limit lies with driving like a granny. And of course its not. Man and machine is capable of more than that. And thats why men are worse for it than women, as they are more keen to discover where the real limits lie.

Its that re-adjusting of your limits that happens with experience and usually takes a few years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Everyone is entitled to 1 crash, it teaches you the limit.

Like everyone get drunk loads when they are young, you learn the point at which you stop before you vomit everywhere.

Glad your ok though.

Back
Top Bottom