Direct Line - Stolen my belongings!

Associate
Someone ran into the back of me last month, called the insurance company who came and collected my car from the roadside. I was told I would be walking home by Direct Line, but luckily the guy who picked up the car dropped me off. I took my laptop and my jacket, left everything else in the car.

Few weeks later, get a call from the engineer saying the car will most probably be a write off. The car was taken back to Wales, and being in Basingstoke, sent father in law over to the garage to pick up our belongings. They get there, no car. Track it down and had been moved to a "storage" place in Bristol, turns out to be an auctioneers. Rang them up, said they would post all our stuff back, great we thought. Box turned up, with a few items, missing about 18cds, car mats which we requested back, and other personal items. Phone garage and they say they will look into it, ring Direct Line who say the same. Week or so and no contact from either, ring up Direct Line again and moan, tell them this is theft, but was told not to worry as all our items would be reimbursed if missing "this happens all the time" the lady told me.

Ring up today with a list of CDs etc to be told - "you are covered up to £100 on your policy". Our workings put it at about £350. Cheeky gits, have stolen from us and now telling me I have to claim on my insurance to get £100. It is being referred to their team leader, but wondered if anyone has any advice.

Small claims court? I have home insurance with more than and get the free legal services, so might give them a bell tomorrow.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
Be firm but fair with them on the phone. Take everyone's name you speak to and what they do and write down dates/times. If you get no joy, politely ask for the complaints procedures - including their regulatory timings - and write a formal letter stating all of the facts, without getting emotional. State your claim and what you want from them and why this is reasonable. List the CD's with a reference to HMV or similar hightreet retail outlet. DO the same for other items. You will more likely get a decent response than shouting the odds.

GHz

GHz

Associate
but was told not to worry as all our items would be reimbursed if missing "this happens all the time" the lady told me.

Sounds like someone down the line has sticky fingers. I've always taken everything out of the vehicle before it's towed away as you can never trust people like that not to take things.

Soldato
Politely explain to them, that the £100 max cover is not relevant, as you are not claiming for Insurance on those items, you are claiming the money from the company that has effectively "stolen" the items. At this point you are claiming against them as an FSA complaint for Negligence with your property, they need to register this as an FSA complaint and deal with it accordingly.

Soldato
The difficulty is going to be proving it - if you can I'd be inclined to threaten (and follow through if necessary) small claims court.

If not, complaints department is your best bet

Man of Honour
This is exactly why you NEVER, EVER, EVER involve you own insurers in a non fault accident beyond notifying them it took place.

They are processing you as a fault claimanent until they recover the costs from the third party.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;15136250 said:
This is exactly why you NEVER, EVER, EVER involve you own insurers in a non fault accident beyond notifying them it took place.

Why would it have been any different if the other party's insurers got involved instead?

Associate
OP
First time I've been involved in an accident, live and learn.

Thanks for the advice, not sure how I can prove the items were in the car. Will go down the complaints procedure when they respond tomorrow.

Not good though is it, soon as it is resolved, will be taking my car insurance elsewhere.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;15136250 said:

They are processing you as a fault claimanent until they recover the costs from the third party.

TBH you will have problems if you have problems with the garage that works on your car.

The garage answer to the people that paid them, that is the 3rd party insurers.

If your company pay for it and then reclaim, the garage answer to your insurers who work for you.

Also, my advice is use copies of your cds in your car.

Man of Honour
Why would it have been any different if the other party's insurers got involved instead?

The car would have been recovered to the garage of his choice, not Wales. The car would never be moved on to another site without his permission first as he still owns the car. Any loss is not subject to a £100 maximum because he has no contractual agreement reducing liability with the third parties insurer.

etc etc.

Associate
OP
Cheers. How would I have contacted the other insurance company? Ask the woman who hit me to call them!? As I said, this was my first accident, so was pretty clueless.

The car couldn't be driven, so was forced to call my company to move it from the side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom