• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Faulty XFX 5850?

Associate
Well, I got my XFX 5850 today, so out came my 4890 Vapour X, complete format with Vista 64 retail, and in goes my new 5850 . .

Picture straight away, fantastic i think.

Vista finished installing so installed the latest video drivers, reboot . . .

Artifacts everywhere. Occasional frozen cursor, no desktop, then the fan would speed up terribly, more artifacts, then nothing. Reboot into safe mode, picture straight away. Now I have tried 2 monitors, both new 24" Samsungs and the same thing.

I have tried the GFX drivers from XFX and Ati and the same thing. I have tried it on a fresh install of XP 32 bit and Vista 64 and RC Windows 7 and everything is great until I reboot after installing drivers. Now my MB Bios is up to date, I have a 1000w Coolermaster PSU etc etc, I know my bits and bots and everything else is fine. Stuck my 4890 back in, everything is just dandy. Even tried a friends GTX 295 and everything is fine. Every attempt with the 5850 is on a fresh install so no chance of driver leftovers.

I just can't believe my XFX 5850 is a dud :(

Do you agree though it sounds that way?

Last edited:
Soldato
same thing happens to me with my sapphire 5850 since i had it. , sometimes when rebooting in to windows and sometimes when i install the drivers..

in gaming it runs perfectly

maybe its just the drivers

so i guess ill wait and see what happens .

Last edited:
Caporegime
jesus not another one, these 5's are dropping like ******* fly's, im gona hold off buying, was going to order one on Thrusday, but they all either turning up DOA, or dying after a bit, so **** that :eek:

Soldato
So 1 card dying is dropping like fly's lol this is the first card i seen on these forums that's arrived dead, i am yet to see anyone say there card has died also.

Back
Top Bottom