SATA cable underneath mobo - safe?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I am building my first µATX rig and am finding cable routin more challenging compared to a full size form factor.

I have managed to run the SATA cable from the DVD drive UNDERNEATH the motherboard... i.e. in the space between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting tray.

Is this OK or a bad idea?

Soldato
I've been doing this for a while, no issues yet. No doubt there are risks of things shorting if the thick insulation layer is pierced by a piece of solder.

Soldato
I am building my first µATX rig and am finding cable routin more challenging compared to a full size form factor.

I have managed to run the SATA cable from the DVD drive UNDERNEATH the motherboard... i.e. in the space between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting tray.

Is this OK or a bad idea?

I don't see why not. Heat won't be a problem & it won't short unless you have an already broken SATA cable.

Associate
As long as the cable is free to move then it wont be a problem, if it is physically wedged / trapped by something then the insulation might get damaged / piereced which would cause issues.

This is obviously assuming you haven't taped it down, which i sometimes do ;).

Back
Top Bottom