360 Super Elite - Worth it?

Man of Honour
I have a 20Gb Xbox 360 which I barely ever use. Mostly just for the odd racing title.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Forza 3. I'm also aware that Forza 3 will pretty much, once installed, fill my 360's HDD. In the short term, this isn't really a big deal. I'm only going to play Forza 3. In the long term, if something else comes out, perhaps it'll be a nuisance. I don't know.

My 360 is also out of warranty - it's a 2007 model. If it breaks, I'll have to buy a new one. It currently works perfectly.

I have, as I can see it, two options.

a) Purchase Forza 3 for £40.
b) Purchase a 360 Super Elite Forza pack for £120 after tradein of my 360

Is it worth taking this step for an extra 80 quid? Or is it a bit pointless? Will I find myself in 6 months time with 3 red lights having to buy a new 360 anyway?

Associate
If I was in your shoes I'd probably go with F3 and a 60gig HDD, some good prices on them at the moment. Having said that, if you'll be buying F3 anyway then eighty quid isnt too bad for the newer 360 with a new warranty.

Man of Honour
OP
Forza 3 + 60 Gig HDD = £90+
Super ELite = £120

This is why I keep wondering about it even though I'm not a big 360 user...

Soldato
I probably use my 360 more than you Fox and only have a 20GB hard drive.

You don't need to install games to play them. If you only going to play Forza then there is no problem. If something else does come out then just run it from the disc...though I don't think anything decent is coming out?

Plus I think you can install 2 games on the 20gb hard drive and still have a bit left over?

Plus put the extra cash towards a PS3 and GT5 next year when it comes out if you don't have a PS3 already.

Soldato
I go for the Super Elite Forza pack....

£80 sounds a small price to pay for what you get (250GB harddrive,new warranty,Extra Black Wireless Controller)

i would do the same mr fox.

new xbox and warranty souns good to me and if im right in saying....dont you get a 3 years warranty with a new xbox ?

Man of Honour
OP
You don't need to install games to play them. If you only going to play Forza then there is no problem. If something else does come out then just run it from the disc...though I don't think anything decent is coming out?

Plus I think you can install 2 games on the 20gb hard drive and still have a bit left over?

Not installing games means the CD drive spins constantly which is hugely annoying, though. You can fit two games on the HDD but not 2 games and the DLC for each.

Soldato
i woul just get a standard elite tbh. youre never gonna fill up 250gig (infact i expect only about 10% of super elite owners will ever fill it more than about 130gb)

Man of Honour
OP
i woul just get a standard elite tbh. youre never gonna fill up 250gig (infact i expect only about 10% of super elite owners will ever fill it more than about 130gb)

Standard Elite is £50 less but does not have £40 worth of Forza or £35 worth of controller.

Seems like a bum deal?

Permabanned
Forza doesn't cost £40, its £35 at most. Sainsburys usually does new releases for under £30 so shop around!

Forza also only need 2gigs of storage, so why and how will you fill 20gb?

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;15138460 said:
Standard Elite is £50 less but does not have £40 worth of Forza or £35 worth of controller.

Seems like a bum deal?

for £250 you get a Super elite + forza + 2 controllers? Thats a very good deal if you ask me

Soldato
Get the super Elite. If it's a Jasper chipset machine then it uses a lot less power and needs less cooling which is future savings on top.

My 2006 machine got RROD and I replaced it with an Arcade then transferred the HDD across. It's a lot quieter, although the DVD is noisier at full pelt. Installing the games solves that tho.

Back
Top Bottom