HTC Hero, coming July on Orange and T-Mobile, makes me want!

Associate
I got mine on Mobiles.co.uk on Orange. The ROM installed was the original generic HTC so I upgraded to the newer HTC ROM, i.e. 2.73.405.5 - no problems encountered so far.

Man of Honour
I live in a village out in the middle of nowhere really and there I'm getting the exact same signal as my old O2 iPhone, my hero is on orange aswell. It's basically a few bars/2g. Go to any towns around here (near Lincoln) and I'm getting usually 3g, otherwise I get a H, at work etc which I'm lead to believe is HSPA, and that is even better than 3G!

I really love this phone and after the ROM update, I'm having real trouble picking any faults with it.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any problems with its aerial, its better than my iPhones if anything.

Associate
I have the sim free version of the phone and I updated it with the new official firmware when it came out in Sept and it's great -

But could someone please explain the potential advantage to putting the new custom roms on that people talk about? Are they much better than the newest official rom? And is there a risk of "bricking it" (the phone, not me)?

Thanks!

Soldato
Few questions-
1. Is it possible to invert the touchscreen horizontal scroll direction?
2. Anyone care to comment on how the MP3 player will handle several thousand files? Not too important, just needs to have a halfway decent speed when browsing!
3. I presume it's relatively easy to remove the twitter and other crap once rooted. (I know how to use a terminal properly, just marginally concerned that they'll decide to either error or recreate themselves)

Finally, odd query, but has anyone got any decent deals off any of the high-street lot?
I'm aware of their basic sales precedents etc, but I'd really rather not order from the net if I can help it, all this has ever caused in the past is trouble.

-Leezer-

Associate
2. Anyone care to comment on how the MP3 player will handle several thousand files? Not too important, just needs to have a halfway decent speed when browsing!

Last night I loaded >13GB of mp3s onto my microSD card - when restarted, it became unresponsive for about an hour, which was worrying, but I just left it to do its thing. It then restarted again by itself but came back up with all my music and all the ID3 tags had been picked up correctly. I then proceeded to use AlbumArtGrabber to retrieve the cover art and went to bed (it was past 0100 by this time).

This morning on the bus in I amended some of the album covers that had been picked up wrong. When I restarted the phone it again took a while to update (half hour?) but I was able to use other apps meanwhile. When I first opened the music player there was a bit of lag browsing the menus but after that it flew through the categories without so much as a flicker, (it's a class 2 card btw). The tracklist has 2857 songs in it and takes a few seconds to load initially and searching takes a couple of seconds to update but there's no lag browsing at all so I think I can safely say that you won't have any issues with the media player! ;)

Out of interest, before I got this phone I tried a Samsung Jet with its supposedly 'jet' fast 800MHz processor, when I put a similar amount of music on the card it ran like a dog! (Among many other issues) he he

Soldato
HTC Hero ordered as of this morning, should have it tomorrow. The guy told me to make sure someone was in tomorrow to sign for it so it had better be here :p

18 month contract
Phone for free
700 Minutes
Unlimited Texts
Unlimited Data Usage
=£35/month

When I spoke to the guy he said to lower the price of the contract id have to loose the unlimited texts and a lot of the minutes just to keep the unlimited data so I couldnt see the point to save a couple of quid. Got 7 days play around to see if I like it, which I hope I do as ive wanted one since release.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not intentionally :p

Quick question actually, can you sync your outlook contacts with the hero? Ive got all my contacts on Outlook off my Diamond, would be handy if I didnt have to redo all the telephone numbers

Cheers

Associate
Yep, and the Outlook Calendar too.

The phone doesn't have a todo app or notes apps, however I have found some great apps on the market for free. For tasks, the best I found was "Tasks by VNSN" and for a notepad style app, "Notes by Yuli".

Neither will sync with Outlook though, which is a shame.

Also don't forget "Beebplayer" and you may find "Task Killer Free" useful.

Associate
HTC Sync doesn't work on my XP installation (SP3, x32). I just can't get the driver to work, even though it's installed and the the phone shows up in Device Manager as 'My HTC'. Every time I start the app I get an error message something like 'cannot create device instance'.

It's a ****er as I used to sync my old Sony Ericsson W890i with Outlook via Bluetooth PIM synchronisation. Of course the Hero doesn't support that. I had to save contacts to .csv and then upload to my Gmail account to sync them. HTC Sync and the poor BT support are my only real moans about this phone.

Soldato
[SKR]Phoenix;15149172 said:
I tried that, but it seemed to need an awful lot of permissions and was also running a background comms app which concerned me a little.

Hmm. That does sound rather concerning.

I'll have a look into it. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom