SBS 2003 + XP = strange problem.

Soldato
Howzit guys,

I am having a strange issue with one of our clients.

They're running an SBS 2003 SP2 server. Which runs their exchange, ISA, Internet. Now, everything has been working fine. Until recently, three XP machines are now getting connectivity issues.

They can connect to the server, MSN, Skype etc. But cannot browse the Internet at all. Just a (Almost instant) "Page cannot be displayed" error message. I have tried giving them static addresses and doing a full win sock reset, etc.

the only way to get them back on it disable or repair the NIC on their machines and all is well. For about, 10 to 40 minutes until it stops working again??

I am running out of ideas now! :(

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Associate
Repairing the NIC or enabling/diabline will do a number of steps, one thing i'd try and do is manually do these steps next time and see if any one on it's own fixes the issue. If so it'll lend more clues as to the cause.

Ones I know it does is an ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew and an ipconfig /flushdns. If you google you should be able to find all the individual processes it goes through.
Hopefully one of them will fix the issue, and that should indicate the service/services that are at fault and need repairing/re-installing/reconfiguring

Soldato
I would say it's an issue with ISA and using the server as a gateway.

When you run a repair, it will release network settings, obtain new ones from DHCP, flush DNS cache, and flush ARP cache.
So the problem is one of those. Good luck! :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, guys.

All the Vista machines are fine though. It's only these three XP machines giving problems?

I will try out the suggestions.

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Just tried something now.

If I give it a static = Not working. Switch it back to dynamic IP address = working (Same IP address) but I am not waiting for the machine to stop working again..

Soldato
Needs more troubleshooting.

When internet bombs out try:

Pinging a known IP address. ISP DNS works well. If you get replies it's defiantly a resolution error as opposed to connectivity. http://74.125.53.100 will take you to google. See if it works.

Resolving a not-previously used domain.
If it does not resolve, manually input your providers DNS on the interface.
If it does resolve then it is not a DNS issue with your SBS server.
If it does not resolve, but does with a manual entry, it is a DNS issue with your SBS server.

My money is on ISA to be honest :p

Back
Top Bottom