Finally found some new wheels for the MR2

Soldato
After an exhausting search I finally found some wheels for the MR2. I was looking for a set that didn't look too different to the standard 5 spokes but had a bit more "je ne sais quoi". Something 17" with a bit of dish and OEM looking.

Here they are:
NSF2.jpg

OSF2.jpg

NSF1.jpg

Nice huh?

Vix

Vix

Associate
That type of wheel does seem to suit the MR2.

Loving the Linglongs. Get some proper tyres on the wheels and use the Linglongs as a coffee table ;)

Soldato
OP
So yeah, I know they suck and I put up the Lingylong pic just for you guys as I know how much we love them here ;)

However, these are a winter project and they are infact underneath that black powdercoat, peeling laquer and yellow spray paint some fairly lightweight Team Dynamics rims that those who saw my Golf might reckognise (although these are 17" not 16").

Once they landed at MrSix Castle I gave them a very quick rub down and shot them up with one coat of left over Halford metallic silver spray that I had lying around:

2lscrxi.jpg

This gave me a much better idea of how they'll look once finished - certainly better than before!

2enm3bq.jpg

2uo2uy9.jpg

Next step is to send them off to get shot blasted and then I'll start the refurbing process over the next few months ready to have them on the car in the spring.

This is a very rough photoshop of how they might look once fitted:

1pi3up.jpg

Soldato
Wheels look good, very light, that including tire?

A Nexen, Linglong and a Yokohama, the previous owner must have enjoyed the wet! :o

Would have expected you to be looking at 6.5-12kg for a 17" wheel. My Compomotive MOs are just under 10kg I believe, and my previous OZ Super Turismos were just over 10kg.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought this was a joke at first but that look pretty good when spruced up. Scales might need calibrating though ;)

Yeah given the comments from others as well I'm thinking the guy who sold them to me may have diddled the scales a bit! They're certainly only a fraction heavier than my 15" standard wheels when held side by side, so I'm happy. I'll weigh them before I fit them to the car to see what they are once the 10cm of powdercoat has been removed :p

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah they cost me £150. I seem to have a thing for finding this model of wheel (which I still don't know what it is?) for cheap, the 16" for the Golf which were actually immaculate only cost me £80 with almost brand new Conti sport contact tyres! I reckon these will probably end up costing around £500 all together including purchase price, tyres and refurb.

Soldato
OP
Has anybody ever refurbished wheels themselves and painted them with rattle cans?

I'm a competant sprayer and I'm not at all concerned about the finish I will get from doing this myself, however I was wondering how well the laquers found at Halfords etc. in the cans will stand up to wheel cleaning solutions?

I don't want to take my time refurbing the wheels myself to have the laquer dissolve the next time I use my bilberry wheel cleaner or similar.

My other alternative is to have them refurbed @ £50 a corner by my local spray/body shop.

Back
Top Bottom