New Apple Hardware - Today?

Soldato
Been in the Arndale and had a play with the magic mouse. Looks nice, feels nice but lacks the middle click and side buttons which I use constantly!

But it does have the ability to go back/forward in web pages which the current mighty mouse can't. So they've added something and removed 2 other things. Tempted to get it but not sure which I use more, back/forward or expose/spaces button!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Been in the Arndale and had a play with the magic mouse. Looks nice, feels nice but lacks the middle click and side buttons which I use constantly!

But it does have the ability to go back/forward in web pages which the current mighty mouse can't. So they've added something and removed 2 other things. Tempted to get it but not sure which I use more, back/forward or expose/spaces button!

Backspace = back on browsers

Did you see what configuration options are in the System Preferences for the Magic Mouse?

That's ridiculous :( Won't a mini-displayport to HDMI adaptor work?

Nope. Apple don't use DisplayPort to it's full potential (e.g. allowing sound over it)

Soldato
That's ridiculous :( Won't a mini-displayport to HDMI adaptor work?

I wasn't aware there was one. Pain in the bum though, not all TVs have a sound input you can 'associate' to the HDMI ports, which can be a real pain for some people who want to put it under the telly. Granted, a lot of these people will be running the sound to an amp (I am) but also a lot won't.

Soldato
I wasn't aware there was one. Pain in the bum though, not all TVs have a sound input you can 'associate' to the HDMI ports, which can be a real pain for some people who want to put it under the telly. Granted, a lot of these people will be running the sound to an amp (I am) but also a lot won't.

At the moment my Vostro is connected to the TV over HDMI, and then I have the audio line-out from the TV connected to the amp. This way I can hear what's playing via the PC and Freeview with just one cable.

Thanks for the help.

Soldato
Backspace = back on browsers

Did you see what configuration options are in the System Preferences for the Magic Mouse?

Yeah I just prefer to be able to do things like that on the mouse. I'd rather have 2 buttons for Epose and Spaces then back/forward though as I use Ex/Sp more!

The config was VERY limited. Change left to right handed. Turn off all finger gestures, scroll speed, click speed. Can't map any buttons to anything else or use 3/4 finger gestures to do other things.

I'm sure there will be 3rd party apps which will be able to do this, eventually!

Only config options I saw were:

software20091020.jpg

Associate
Yeah I just prefer to be able to do things like that on the mouse. I'd rather have 2 buttons for Epose and Spaces then back/forward though as I use Ex/Sp more!

The config was VERY limited. Change left to right handed. Turn off all finger gestures, scroll speed, click speed. Can't map any buttons to anything else or use 3/4 finger gestures to do other things.

I'm sure there will be 3rd party apps which will be able to do this, eventually!

Only config options I saw were:

software20091020.jpg

Probably be more settings when they release 10.6.2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple announced today that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play music.

The iTit will cost from £499 to £699, depending on cup and speaker size.

This is considered a major social breakthrough, because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.

Think you need to post in GD:confused:

It isn't even funny.

Associate
Do you think the 27" with the i7 would be completely over the top for a casual home user (internet, email, itunes, films, bit of amateur photoshop, no games)? I would be looking to future-proof somewhat and keep it as my main machine for the next 3-4 years. Or should I just stick with the base 27" model and save £400 ish?

Last edited:
Commissario

My only use for side buttons is for back anyway and that's done by the swipe now. Did they have them for sale or just on display as part of the new iMacs?

Soldato
Do you think the 27" with the i7 would be completely over the top for a casual home user (internet, email, itunes, films, bit of amateur photoshop, no games)? I would be looking to future-proof somewhat and keep it as my main machine for the next 3-4 years. Or should I just stick with the base 27" model and save £400 ish?

I'd say your better off saving the money. Unless you are doing games or HD video editing then its maybe overkill. You could always go for the i5 option instead which is 'somewhere inbetween'.

Soldato
I would be tempted go for whatever you can afford, as long as you buy through HE so you get the 3 yr warranty your sorted.

3-4 yrs in computer hardware is a long time :)

Soldato
The interesting thing about sound over the displayport thing is that when my 2008 MBP is plugged into the 24" Cinema Screen sound comes out via the screen :confused:

Soldato
The interesting thing about sound over the displayport thing is that when my 2008 MBP is plugged into the 24" Cinema Screen sound comes out via the screen :confused:

I don't know about other company's displayport capable monitors, it may work with them.

But if you're running it to a TV it goes (most usually) Mini Displayport to DVI then either to DVI on the TV or HDMI on the TV and that doesn't carry the sound signal still. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but as of now I don't think there's any adapter type doohickey to take it straight to the TV in the HDMI cable.

Man of Honour
I don't know about other company's displayport capable monitors, it may work with them.

But if you're running it to a TV it goes (most usually) Mini Displayport to DVI then either to DVI on the TV or HDMI on the TV and that doesn't carry the sound signal still. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but as of now I don't think there's any adapter type doohickey to take it straight to the TV in the HDMI cable.

I assume you have the usb connection plugged into your macbook pro too - I believe that'll be the source of the sounds...

Back
Top Bottom