< - 20 cooling? any ideas

Associate
Hey i'v been looking into water coolers but i can't see anything that takes it below < 4 degrees celcius and come one that's patetic. but have no ideas of chillers which will do this any ideas - i can't run liquid nitrogen all of the time :(

Associate
OP
I look at vapourchill LS etc but they seem for really old sockets, any ideas or shoudl i just build my own back plate

Soldato
There is the Cooler Express 2009 phase change units out there that can be used on i7's, though you have to buy the i7 mounting gear seperately, which isn't cheap.

They do 2 different units that I know of, there is the Super Single and Super Dual, the difference being, the Super Dual has 2 evap tubes.

There is also the OCZ Cryo-Z, which is quite a bit cheaper than the Cooler Express units, but it doesn't support LGA1366 socket, so you would have to make your own mounting bracket.

Phase change seems like an awfully expensive method of cooling, and I imagine those units are extremely noisy to...

Soldato
I've not gone beyond water yet either, so take the following with a pinch of salt.

Phase is the most common approach. I believe it is generally a converted air con unit or home made, whether at your home or someone else's. XS would probably the be place to look for this. A thread to the effect of "I'm a noob what wants phase!" may be ripped to pieces, so researching this before asking would be wise. I believe you're looking at the best part of a grand to get someone to build it for you, it'll cool the cpu only and condensation will be a worry.

Next up is chilled water. You pump the water through a chiller of some description, this chills everything attached to the loop. Condensation is if anything a bigger issue since everything is cold, and the processor will be warmer than under phase. Thermoelectrics have potential for this, as you can fit a lot of cooling capacity in a small volume. Your electricity bill would not thank you.

Liquid nitrogen obviously works rather well, but has no realistic 24/7 application so I've mostly ignored it.

You need to assign a budget, work out how you'll deal with condensation, and come up with a good enough reason to bother with all this.

edit: I'm very gradually coming up with a plan for a tec chiller, suspect I'll be looking at about £200 for the construction.

Last edited:
Soldato
As mentioned above, the reason you've hit 4deg C in particular as a threshold is because that is the condensation point under standard atmospheric conditions. Once you get past that you've got to have some careful plans about what you're doing unless you want to end up with a lot of expensive plastic.

Associate
OP
I've not gone beyond water yet either, so take the following with a pinch of salt.

Phase is the most common approach. I believe it is generally a converted air con unit or home made, whether at your home or someone else's. XS would probably the be place to look for this. A thread to the effect of "I'm a noob what wants phase!" may be ripped to pieces, so researching this before asking would be wise. I believe you're looking at the best part of a grand to get someone to build it for you, it'll cool the cpu only and condensation will be a worry.

Next up is chilled water. You pump the water through a chiller of some description, this chills everything attached to the loop. Condensation is if anything a bigger issue since everything is cold, and the processor will be warmer than under phase. Thermoelectrics have potential for this, as you can fit a lot of cooling capacity in a small volume. Your electricity bill would not thank you.

Liquid nitrogen obviously works rather well, but has no realistic 24/7 application so I've mostly ignored it.

You need to assign a budget, work out how you'll deal with condensation, and come up with a good enough reason to bother with all this.

edit: I'm very gradually coming up with a plan for a tec chiller, suspect I'll be looking at about £200 for the construction.

Hey everyone, no to clear a few things up - this is in the long run, i'm not looking to have this system running within a year, originally i was going toh have it running on the BIX 560mm, and then 2 for 2 gpu loops but was litrally just looking into this. I had looked into it a while back and understand about insulating everything wtc it's just i find old vapor phase coolers. I had been looking at chillers on a website (will remain nameless because of forum rules) at chillers but couldn't really see the benefits of going to 4degrees over 0. if that makes sense as the jump up as my coolant runs pretty cool on these rads anyway.
obviously i didn't wan't liquid nitrogen as i can't run it all of the time easily and was after a higher oc on the cpu.
budget - well for my rads on the liquid cooling i was settign up for this rig is >£1000,
if you want the brakdown ask.
:)
but hey, life's for living

Soldato
I don't know why the chillers you're looking at are all incapable of dropping below 4 degrees. That makes little sense to me; the only exciting thing that happens at 4 degrees is liquid water starts to expand instead of contract as it cools further.

Your coolant is currently a couple of degrees above ambient, probably 5 degrees over ambient (25 ish). If this is enough, then obviously sub ambient isn't what you want. Otherwise the 25 degree drop to a bit above zero is considerable. A very good phase system will maintain a i7 chip at -102 degrees load (based upon anand running such a system). I'm under the impression that these are almost all made for the purpose, and not available off the shelf.

I don't think many people run phase on graphics cards, even relative to how many run sub ambient. I've seen a few online with phase on the cpu and chilled water on the rest.

An important question is whether or not you are able to assemble such a mechanism yourself. I don't know enough about refrigeration to assemble phase, but should be able to cope with tec eventually.

Associate
OP
I don't know why the chillers you're looking at are all incapable of dropping below 4 degrees. That makes little sense to me; the only exciting thing that happens at 4 degrees is liquid water starts to expand instead of contract as it cools further.

Your coolant is currently a couple of degrees above ambient, probably 5 degrees over ambient (25 ish). If this is enough, then obviously sub ambient isn't what you want. Otherwise the 25 degree drop to a bit above zero is considerable. A very good phase system will maintain a i7 chip at -102 degrees load (based upon anand running such a system). I'm under the impression that these are almost all made for the purpose, and not available off the shelf.

I don't think many people run phase on graphics cards, even relative to how many run sub ambient. I've seen a few online with phase on the cpu and chilled water on the rest.

An important question is whether or not you are able to assemble such a mechanism yourself. I don't know enough about refrigeration to assemble phase, but should be able to cope with tec eventually.

the chillers i was looking at were the hailea ones

Associate
OP
What system are you looking to setup and what overclock are you after for 24/7?

i wasn't going to use it full 24/7 i just don't want to have to setup liquid nitrogen every time i use it - looking for 5ghz + (hopefully if the i9 is any good for overclocking)
|I will have a secondary system for boring things

Soldato
That would do it. You're looking at aquarium chillers. They don't want the water to go below 4 degrees because they're not keen on freezing the water with fish in. Since you want to cool a computer loop below zero, you're clearly not going to be using water.

Over 5ghz is rarely achieved for prolonged time periods. 5ghz can be hit 24/7, but you'll need a good motherboard and a good processor to achieve this, as well as considerable skill. There are benchmarks of an i9 at 6ghz+, but I will be astonished if the six core chips beat 5ghz stable. The chip would draw too much current.

Associate
OP
That would do it. You're looking at aquarium chillers. They don't want the water to go below 4 degrees because they're not keen on freezing the water with fish in. Since you want to cool a computer loop below zero, you're clearly not going to be using water.

Over 5ghz is rarely achieved for prolonged time periods. 5ghz can be hit 24/7, but you'll need a good motherboard and a good processor to achieve this, as well as considerable skill. There are benchmarks of an i9 at 6ghz+, but I will be astonished if the six core chips beat 5ghz stable. The chip would draw too much current.

yeah i'v seen people take limiters out of them - i wanted the system as a folder and for gaming. Don't worry i was going for something which parrallels the evga x58 classified 4 way sli but when i build it. I'm willing to spend 400-500 to get a good mobo (eventually)
Ram will be good aswell (just don't know what i will be looking at then.
i'v never seen anyone put anything bar normal liquid cooling through gpus do you know of anyone with sucsess in this and how they insulated it?
thanks

Associate
OP

and i was going to slowly work her up from 3.5 ghz (well 4 really) and jsut see what she can handle

Back
Top Bottom