• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 -> Q9650

Associate
Should the change be made? I run my E8600 at 4.4ghz

I wonder if new games would benefit from the quad

It should improve multi-tasking in windows though it is already quick

Your thoughts?

Permabanned
It largely depends on your usage?
If main use is gaming then no, stick with the dual, if you do encoding/rendering or the like then yes go for the quad

Soldato
Comes with a 8.5 multi instead of 9 though, which can be irritating.

I'd stick with the dual core in hindsight. I went e8400 to q9550, and it was better for virtual machines but otherwise I didn't notice the difference.

Permabanned
With that high clocks it would be hard to justify it really. However since you could sell off the 8600 for a few £££ making the Q9650 much cheaper to buy. Could be good. But do not expect 4.4ghz though.

Windows in general would be much quicker all round. Games would be no different. Poss even slower due to lower clocks.

McT

Associate
Unless you can do it cheaply and be sure to get a decent Q9650 chip ; believe that better option is save for new i7 rig.

Very few games coded/optimsed for the quads :(

I did not follow my own advice a few months ago as I was impaitent so bought a new 9650 (turned out to be a good chip - vid 1.125- currently running on air at 4.05 with 1.185v & with I believe further head room) - no complaints/regrets but I should have waited.:o

Back
Top Bottom