RAID Configuration advice?

Permabanned
This is the first time i've configured a rig with RAID, i know my P6T motherboard can handle 2x RAID configurations at once because it has 'Intel matrix storage' according to the manual but i just wasn't sure if what i wanted was possible, or if it was the best option...

i've just ordered another 300gb VelociRaptor and plan on buying another when i run out of space soon.

To get maximum performance i want to put the 3x300gb Raptors in RAID 0 and then have something like the WD RE3 1TB set to RAID 1, so it will mirror the 900GB for redundancy.

But reading the P6T manual it also says it can support RAID 10 which has 'both data striping and data mirroring without parity (redundancy data) having to be circulated and written..... use four new HDDs or an existing HDD and three new HDDs'

so since i will have 2 or 3 Raptors for my everyday system and another 1tb backing it up would it be best to combine RAID 1 and 0 separately or just use RAID 10?

any advice much appreciated.

Soldato
You can't do that. You would have to back the RAID 0 array up to your 1TB drive yourself.
If you got another VR you could use RAID 10. Or you could use RAID 10 with the 3x VR and 1TB disk but they'd all be limited to 300GB at the 1TB disks speed.

Back
Top Bottom