Win 7 Arrives 21st

Soldato
Got mine and installed it last night. I thought we were supposed to get some pop up screen once installed asking us to pick a web browser, something to do with the EU?

Soldato
Got my first 3 copies about 7.30am this morning (courier) Just waiting on another 3 but they're arriving individually by the royal fail :( so god knows when i'll see them.

Just installing my first copy on my Macbook as i type (no work for me today) Brings a smile to my face installing a legit Windows :)

Associate
One night transfer from UK to Poland, already at delivery station in Warsaw.... now just few hours and I'll get it at work :) I'm really impressed witht he delivery time though... half of Europe in one day :)

Soldato
I am really impressed, I have come from a p4 3.5ghz with 2gb of RAM running xp to this and everthing is still slick and nice.

Well done microsoft. The install too 5 mins and I was away.

Soldato
Am I understanding this correctly?

Does the price of Windows 7 go up after the release date, am I better off ordering now?

(I know I should have kept a closer eye on this)

Yes i think after the release day it goes up to the proper price, not sure what that is exactly but i think its over £100

The prices we're seeing now should remain until 1st Jan before it goes back to it's full pricing. It's nothing to do with the release date.

:eek: Ive seen it for £179.99 on ****.**** and thats £50 off.

No linking to competitors mate, whether they're more expensive or not.

One of my copies (from the place you linked to) arrived today... I'm still waiting on my second copy though.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
64bit.....(Think the 32bit has a 4GB ram limit !!)

32 bit has a limitation where the total amount of RAM in your system (including graphics card memory and any devices you have that use memory mapped IO) cannot exceed 4GB, it will subtract from your system RAM if you exceed 4GB.

For most folk these days, 3GB RAM is the effective limit on a 32bit system.

OTOH, on a 32bit system, you get the 16bit subsystem allowing you to run ancient Windows 3.1 applications, this has been removed from 64bit Windows (but is still available under XP Mode on Win7 Pro+Ultimate). Also, if you have older or more obscure hardware it's more likely to work since some vendors still haven't produced 64bit drivers yet and in some cases the XP driver can work. You can also run unsigned drivers which may be useful if you're into rolling your own driver mods. This could however be considered a disadvantage because malware could install itself as a driver, something that isn't possible with the driver requirements of 64bit Windows.

32bit Windows also needs less RAM to function, so if you have a pathetic 1GB of RAM, go 32bit.

99% of hardware is working just fine on 64bit these days, so really it's down to which is more important, the 16bit subsystem or the ability to have more than 3GB RAM plus the added security of signed drivers.

Back
Top Bottom