*** Crucial M225 SSD's Available From £102.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
so what are the steps to go back to 1571 once you have upgraded to 1871?

could some one please list what exactly needs to be done?

thanks

Soldato
so what are the steps to go back to 1571 once you have upgraded to 1871?

could some one please list what exactly needs to be done?

thanks
I'd image its the same as the 1711 downgrade.

Extract CTXXXM225_1571.exe from the ISO
Boot from separate drive with a Windows install in IDE mode.
Backup M225 install if you want.
Delete the M225 partition, run CTXXXM225_1571.exe
Select the right disk and run, wait, it takes awhile.
Optional, sanitary erase. I found this helped with performance for some reason.
Restore backup if you took one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Starting to think these drives are more trouble than they're worth....

I'm (still) on 1711 on Win7 64bit, have been for a few weeks without any corruption - although I haven't run wiper and I don't use standby/hibernate on my PC.

I was already a bit peeved about the prospect of having to install Windows on a secondary drive for no other reason than to downgrade the firmware to 1571, but now it looks like there is enough anecdotal evidence that upgrading to 1871 will adversely affect performance anyway. Seems like I either continue to live on a knife edge not knowing whether one day the drive will corrupt itself on a whim, or I "upgrade" to a firmware which potentially halfs the write performance.

That being said I can't even run CrystalDiskMark properly on my drive anymore for some unknown reason, I just get crazy results in the thousands (ATTO and that new SSD benchmark posted work ok though).

What to do....

Soldato
That being said I can't even run CrystalDiskMark properly on my drive anymore for some unknown reason, I just get crazy results in the thousands (ATTO and that new SSD benchmark posted work ok though).

What to do....

Just a note, a lot of people are generally slating CrystalDiskMark for every SSD not just Crucial's.

Most people are saying CDM just doesn't give accurate enough results for an SSD and are suggesting to others to just bin CDM and use other benchmark tools.

So don't worry about the mad results :)

Associate
So I was planning on installing my SSD this evening, in preparation for tomorrow's (or most likely the weekend's) Win 7 Pro 64-bit installation. Given the lastest firmware issues, am I risking anything that won't be resolved, fingers-crossed, in the next firmware release? As far as I can tell, I may be looking at slowly deteriorating SSD performance, but nothing that won't be fully rectified once the f/w gets updated.

Can someone please confirm if this is true or not? Thanks.

Soldato
My AS SSD & ATTO results:

Intel ICH7R controller in AHCI mode
Crucial 256GB M225 SSD (firmware 1771)
Default Microsoft drivers, just a regular Win7 x64 install with no customisations or special alignment.

as_ssd_20101021.png

atto_20101021.png

My sequential read seems to be lower than people with ICH9R/ICH10R, but the rest of the results seem ok.

Associate
I have good news old chaps.

It turns out they [Crucial] do listen! The good news is that the Crucial GC tool has been released here.

Alternative download links (just for kicks):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JTZTYBHZ
http://rapidshare.com/files/296145229/Crucial_Wiper.zip.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/15438977/9645931/Crucial_Wiper.zip.html

The other good news is that they are looking into the performance issues with the latest firmware.

With regards to the reports of reduced performance following the firmware upgrade: We are in the process of collecting data on the issue and we greatly appreciate the detailed reports posted here by all of you. We are investigating the matter and hope to have a resolution available shortly.

Associate
I have good news old chaps.

It turns out they [Crucial] do listen! The good news is that the Crucial GC tool has been released here.

Alternative download links (just for kicks):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JTZTYBHZ
http://rapidshare.com/files/296145229/Crucial_Wiper.zip.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/15438977/9645931/Crucial_Wiper.zip.html

The other good news is that they are looking into the performance issues with the latest firmware.
Thanks for the heads up re the Crucial wiper tool :cool:

As to the performance issues, I'm glad I've held off upgrading to the latest firmware; looks like Crucial dropped the ball again :(

Associate
I don't think it's Crucial's fault. After all, it's Indilinx who makes the firmware, Crucial just tests it and adapts it to their own drives.

Associate
Is the 1871 firmware that bad?

Not really.

Is it the only firmware with trim working properly on Windows 7?

Yes, unless you count 1711 which had data corruption issues.

Does it acctually effect performance noticably or just if you are benchmarking?

AFAIK only when benchmarking. I don't think anyone can notice the difference between 160MB/s write and 110MB/s in real life usage. Oh and I'm not downplaying it at all, I'm annoyed too, I'm just saying.

Soldato
Is the 1871 firmware that bad? Is it the only firmware with trim working properly on Windows 7? Does it acctually effect performance noticably or just if you are benchmarking?

What's the point of TRIM? It's to maintain write speeds.

The firmware supporting TRIM seems to trash write speeds. Even if TRIM is working perfectly - something else is badly broken, totally negating the benefit of TRIM. It seems that currently the 1571 non-TRIM firmware is the best choice.

Associate
What's the point of TRIM? It's to maintain write speeds.

The firmware supporting TRIM seems to trash write speeds. Even if TRIM is working perfectly - something else is badly broken, totally negating the benefit of TRIM. It seems that currently the 1571 non-TRIM firmware is the best choice.

Hmm fair point guess the 1571 firmware sounds like the best bet for now then, gotta wait for raid support anyway to start using trim that will probably take a fair while. Does anyone know if the Crucial GC tool will work with these drives in raid?

Soldato
[ZiiP]carrot;15149599 said:
Wow, £102 up to £150, I thought the prices of these were meant to be coming down :p

Dear me, these really have rocketed in price...I see the Intel X25M G2s have also had another price hike, but nothing compared to the Crucial...

Back
Top Bottom