Why don't they make mice like they used to..

Soldato
... over the years ive had a lot of mice, purely because they have all had problems occur with them which were unavoidable, purely through lots of use

Lets take a look at the list:
Microsoft intelli mouse 3.0 - the cable went dodgy, known problem that at some point occured on most of them
MX510 - Just randomly died one day, no idea why
MX518 - The cable went dodgy on this one, unplugging it and plugging it in again was the only way to get it to work
MX518 number two - same problem again except it would stop then come back itself without having to be replugged in

and now....
Steelseries ikari optical - I physcially only click once yet it registers a double click, intermittent problem and it's VERY frustrating when it occurs so now i need a new mouse

Can anyone recommend me a mouse that will last a long time AND be comfortable for my twiggy (long and skinny) fingers?

Soldato
I don't bother with expensive mowses.

Currently have some kind of basic microsoft optical.

The feet, the buttons and the cable will inevitably wear or otherwise naff up over a couple of years.

Another will only cost £1-2.

Associate
Im still using my microsoft wireless intelliMouse 2.0 that ive had for over 5 years......... still no sign of it giving up the ghost. Its a good thing as I really cant be bothered to find another mouse that fits my hand comfortably

Soldato
OP
Noticed the MX518s are only £20 now, cant be bothered buying expensive ones anymore, i used to buy expensive ones as i used to play PC games competitivly so i was a misguided youth that thought it actually made a difference ;)

Associate
have to say I have had 2 razer mice die on me, one just stopped working (out oif warranty) the 2nd (deathadder) had the double click problem the OP refers 2. because of this I will not buy another razer product, although my exact mat is great and will probably last me a long time yet.

my boys have had quite a few die on them aswell. the only mice still going strong are 2 ms optical old skool ones.

Soldato
Had an intelli v3 for years with no probs, my sis still uses it 6-7 years on. My diamondback cable broke after 2-3 years & I've had my current deathadder for about a year, so far no probs.

Are you just wrecking them or something ;)

Can't type for toffee
Don
MX1000 #1 - Intermittent signal
MX1000 #2 - Clicking problem
Mx Revolution - Decided to retire this to the HTPC in living room
Roccat Kone - Current mouse
Logitech G15v1 - Died a wet alcoholic death :(
Logitech G15v2 - Replacement for the above

Logitech have also been fantastic on the Customer Service side of things when sisues do arise. I think I have had about 4 sets of mx1000 feet from them, 2 docks and 2 chargers. I only went with the Roccat as I fancied a change, very happy with it, its a little light tho but I expect thats because Im sed to everything having batteries in them.

Logitech Mice may not be bullet proof but where they lack they make up in customer support/care :)

Heres hoping the Roccat lives as long as my Logi's did.

Soldato
I've had all sorts of mice over the years, I would say the most durable in my experience have been Logitech though and they have by far the best warranty support you could reasonably expect off any company really :)

I never used to like wireless mice much (although I'm about to recommend one), but I bought a Logitech VX Revolution for my laptop last year, but I've found myself using it on my desktop a lot in recent months, now my Death Adder is just sitting there quietly pulsing blue while I'm actually using the VX Revolution.

It's solid, not too expensive, has a micro-gear switchable scroll wheel (I really like these) and is a great size and shape for my smaller slender (slightly girly) hands. I can't get on with the big Logitech jobbies, I'm sure they are fine if you palm the mouse and have ham-hock sized hands but I do not and I use the mouse with my fingers. I guess you probably do too having long fingers? …I dunno, just a guess. Anyway, if so, then I recommend the VX Revolution, although Logitech seem to have discontinued it now, you can still buy them, the apparent replacement for it looks quite cheap and plasticy by comparison.

Reason I suggest a wireless mouse is that you seem to have an ongoing issue with mouse cables :) ...so the easy way to solve that is of course ...remove the cable.

Associate
I've quite long fingers and i think the G5 is superb, plus you get the bonus of having the adjustable weights to custom tune it.

Soldato
My Deathadder is going great. Had it for about a year now and not had any problems :)

I've had my eXactMat for about 3-4 years now... but there's not much that can go wrong with a piece of metal :p

Soldato
msmouse530.jpg

the king of all mice :D good ol' reliable!

Back
Top Bottom