Will 'On Demand' kill traditional TV schedules?

Caporegime
Now I don't mean that we'll see an end to TV schedules or that TV will become purely OD such as BTVision, but will the increasing use and improvement of features such as BBC iPlayer and 4OD soon see viewers choosing to watch most programmes online at a time of their choosing rather than having to adhere to a schedule?

Personally, I rarely watch 'Live' TV anymore, with around 80% of my viewing being online. The only normal TV I watch being football or the repeats on Dave, and even then I'll usually watch this through TVCatchup.com.

How about you? Do you watch more live TV or choose to watch it when you want online?

A poll would be nice please dons.

Commissario
On Demand won't kill normal broadcast TV for a very long time, it has to reach the point where it's as easy to use as normal TV to do that which alone will take a long time (although the BBC's Project Canvas would be a good start from what I understand*), and the average net connection to reach the point where it can sustain 2-3 TV streams with ease ;)

Personally I currently watch about 50/50 for planned viewing, split between Virgin's OD/DVD's etc, and broadcast TV, but also have the TV on a lot in the background for news/unplanned stuff.

*It's a proposal for a standardised IPTV gateway/set of features/ui for STB's I believe.

Associate
I haven't watched broadcast tv much at all for a few years now....and when I do and it is non-bbc, adverts drive me mad (and when it is bbc, the fact it is bbc drives me mad). Presumably if I did download all my tv and watch it that way I wouldn't be allowed to talk about that fact here?

Not really a sports fan, if I was I guess I would watch live sport.

Soldato
I can't remember the last time I watched live tv but then I don't watch very much anyways. Currently I'm watching both Fringe and Stargate Universe, both through Skyplayer, and I think it's a brilliant service. I just have to remember to turn off all the kontiki crap after use though.

Eventually it will kill traditional tv schedules, especially when ipv6 gets kicked into high gear, but not yet. I'd imagine that it'll take another 5 years for this type of viewing will become the norm.

Last edited:
Soldato
:oI still watch most TV live. That said I don't watch that much TV, so what I do watch is something I really want to see and want to see right away. I suppose it's also a factor that my TV is much better quality and bigger than my monitor so prefer to watch it on that anyway. Now and again I watch Iplayer etc. but usually only when I have missed something I intended to watch. I actually tend to forget about watching it on demand then remember about it by which time it's not available anymore :o

The majority of people I know watch most of their TV on the TV and not on demand. I think it's going to be a very long way off for this to be the norm. I think people sometimes forget what type of forum this is, people here will probably have higher spec PCs/Monitor/cinema setups than the average person.

Soldato
I think people like the social aspect of having watched the same thing. People can talk about it the next day, especially stuff like Stricty and that tosh.

It will be in HD and still be used with PVRs so it is still almost on demand. Not everyone can stream HD.

I think for TV OD to take of fully there needs to be a central platform or standard or atleast some kind of better flash technology for the players.

Back
Top Bottom