Adobe Lightroom 3 beta

Soldato
Everytime a new Lightroom beta comes out i always try and give it a go. I just can't help going back to Aperture. I much prefer the workflow and features in Aperture. Is there any nice video tutorials for Lightroom like there is with Aperture?

One thing i do like so far is that the program is 64bit! Woot!

EDIT - Found some videos. Is Lightroom non destructive editing? Is there a way to compare the edited photo to the un-edited photo?

Last edited:
Associate
Just remember if you use the LR beta that you have no guarantee that all the features make it to market - hence if you import your catalogue and edit say 1000 pictures, when they do finally release Lightroom 3 it may not be compatible with your current version ( so you will then need to re-import and edit your pictures all over again). Do make sure to give it a go, but only use a limited number of images because this is what happened in the roll out of LR 2.

I welcome the new features but sorely wish they would implement the ability to manage your catalogue from more than one computer over a network. It's sadly missing this function and a headache if you say, edit photos on holiday then come home, there is no way to easily import them with edits intact to your desktop machine.

Soldato
Thanks for the link!

EDIT - Found some videos. Is Lightroom non destructive editing? Is there a way to compare the edited photo to the un-edited photo?

Yes it is non-distructive, however I cannot remember if you can show the original and edited side by side, you can quickly move between the two using the history menu.

I welcome the new features but sorely wish they would implement the ability to manage your catalogue from more than one computer over a network. It's sadly missing this function and a headache if you say, edit photos on holiday then come home, there is no way to easily import them with edits intact to your desktop machine.

Completely agree with you there, that would be an excellent feature!

Soldato
Yes it is non-distructive, however I cannot remember if you can show the original and edited side by side, you can quickly move between the two using the history menu.

You most certainly can. You can easily flick between the original and the edited version.

What I would like to see is; Proper soft proofing, being able to save edits as sidecar files rather than in the library, proper backup facility and selective sharpening options.

Soldato
Been playing a bit with the tethered capture too. Shame it doesn't support the Phase raw files because it looks like for my 5D2 at least I can fully replace Capture1 with this program now. RAW processing is much improved (C1 raw processing is just the dogs danglies) and providing they add a little more functionality to the tether interface it's all kinds of win.

Soldato
Been playing a bit with the tethered capture too. Shame it doesn't support the Phase raw files because it looks like for my 5D2 at least I can fully replace Capture1 with this program now. RAW processing is much improved (C1 raw processing is just the dogs danglies) and providing they add a little more functionality to the tether interface it's all kinds of win.

I've installed it at work, but have yet to have a play with it. I'm hoping the final release will provide tethered support for the Hasselblad H3D-II. Also on the 5Dmk2, do you get the liveview feed through into lightroom before you press the shutter release?

Still a shame about the lack of softproofing and network support.

Soldato
No live view preview that I can see unfortunately, though as it does support video viewing from the 5D2 now I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it make its way into a release down the line. The interface is very dumbed down. It doesn't even let you change camera settings from the interface, despite showing you them. It's pretty much a floaty bar that lets you set meta data and any develop presets on import, and a big shutter button.

I'm interested to see if they provide support for the big digital MF manufacturers, with Phase and Hassleblad both having their own RAW/thethering software they're trying to push. It would be nice to eliminate another program from the workflow but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. I'd happily be wrong though!

Softproofing would be nice but I never print anything straight from Lightroom. If i'm taking the time to properly softproof it likely means I've put some time into editing it, which I'l have done in PS anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
So this explains why my original copy of Lightrooom started to refuse to open just the other day!! :o

new beta works fine though! I just redownloaded and installed the version from their site when the original one stopped...

Soldato
So this explains why my original copy of Lightrooom started to refuse to open just the other day!! :o

new beta works fine though! I just redownloaded and installed the version from their site when the original one stopped...

beta shouldn't effect the working of your original lightroom

Back
Top Bottom