Windows 7 upgrade

Soldato
hi,

I have Vista home premium 32-bit, but i want to upgrade to windows 7 64-bit i know you cant upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit, but do i have to buy the full version of windows 7? or can i buy the upgrade?

cheers

ali

Soldato
OP
yer you can, all i want to know is if you have a legitimate copy of vista 32-bit you can use the license to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit sorry if i didnt make this clear earlier

Caporegime
You can buy the upgrade.

Read the Students = Cheap Windows 7 thread, as the Student version is an upgrade, that thread is full of people with upgrades.

Soldato
You can buy the upgrade.

Read the Students = Cheap Windows 7 thread, as the Student version is an upgrade, that thread is full of people with upgrades.

Yeah I know, I realised that after I posted, MS obviously changed their minds on the upgrade option for Europe... last time I looked you couldn't upgrade in Europe, but that was a long time a go.

Last time I looked IE wasn't coming with W7 either, not sure if that is still the case?

Soldato
so i can do a clean install with the upgrade version and just enter my vista product key?

No you cant cheat like that. If you want to go from Vista 32 bit or 64 bit you will need to purchase Windows 7. The Home Premium version on O/C UK is very well priced.

You can not use your Vista key ! ;)

I was quite surprised with my Windows 7 as originally they said you could not upgrade and I was a bit shocked to see the upgrade option as well as install option. I intended to do a clean install anyway to wipe all trace of vista from my PC.

oh quick tip I found, turn off Windows search in services. Windows 7 is super duper faster without it to boot !

Associate
You can install an upgrade version if you want.
You will not need to have a 64 bit version of Vista.
In order to upgrade from 32bit Vista to 64bit Windows 7 using an upgrade version, you will need to run Windows 7 setup from within your (activated) Vista install, then perform a clean (full) installation (you will not be able to do an in-place upgrade).

Back
Top Bottom