You can call me MR Codec.

Caporegime
If you want to be a LECTURER then you'll need either a Phd or years of industry experience, however a teacher just pick up a few prospectuses and see what course interests you. Just be warned some courses (almost certainly including IT) are very competitive to get on. Also 2:2s are fine for some subjects (that are less competitive, ie maths, science etc.)

Soldato
I'm currently on the 3rd year of my BSc, my college have just asked me to do some teaching here, the only condition is that I need to be doing teacher training at the same time, so they're paying for me to do it. This is great, because I've been thinking of teaching for a while, so... it can be quite easy to get into =P

Soldato
If you want to be a LECTURER then you'll need either a Phd or years of industry experience

No you don't. You can become a lecturer with a degree. Obviously experience would be very useful (as with any job), but you don't need it as such. You will probably need a PGCE or similar though, as all educational establishments are cracking down on "unqualified" teaching. If I wanted to be a lecturer (Which I don't, and am fighting against being pushed into becoming a lecturer) then I would get a PGCE first, then some experience in your chosen field, then try and get some teaching experience and eventually get yourself a university lecturer job.

Permabanned
OP
No you don't. You can become a lecturer with a degree. Obviously experience would be very useful (as with any job), but you don't need it as such. You will probably need a PGCE or similar though, as all educational establishments are cracking down on "unqualified" teaching. If I wanted to be a lecturer (Which I don't, and am fighting against being pushed into becoming a lecturer) then I would get a PGCE first, then some experience in your chosen field, then try and get some teaching experience and eventually get yourself a university lecturer job.

got a degree and a years experience ^_^ so just the pgce then ey?

Caporegime

That's why I said years of experience. Becoming a lecturer is unlikely to occur after a couple of years experience in a job and a PGCE, at least not in the field I did my studies in (physical sciences and engineering). You could become a technician (degree but no real teaching, just assisting setups, or an assistant (usually those doing Phd's) but out of the ~40 lecturers at my uni i've experienced only two are Mr.'s, the rest are Doctors, except possibly one, who'd been working in industry for 20 years and then came over to teaching, however he may als have a Phd. Of the two Mr.'s one started a Phd and then dropped it, becoming a lecturer 30 years ago and the other had 20 or so years in industry before becoming a lecturer.

Just my experience, however in other subjects there may be more undoctorated(!?) lecturers.

Back
Top Bottom