Speed camera flash

Associate
Hey guys

Was blocked in this morning by a community nurse and so was running late... road with the speed camera that people normally crawl past was relatively clear and in my mad panic forgot about the speed camera

It was a 50 one and when I looked at my speedo a couple of seconds later I was doing 60ish. I am convinced it would have caught me but my work collegues think otherwise and are like "it would have lit up your car from the flash and you would 100% have known".

Is that true?

Soldato
If you were doing 60ish, your real speed will have been about 54/55mph and so you may have just escaped from it by the skin of your teeth.

Alternatively, it may have just had no film in/been off?

EDIT: something partly related to the thread - i've just found this old news article from 2001 about speed cameras http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1488879.stm

The bit at the end is particularly interesting:

BBC Article said:
The Association of Chief Police Officers is said to be keen on more cameras, but the Metropolitan Police is thought to oppose the plan because it would turn motorists against the police.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've seen it a mile or more off from the back when a police car flew past one, on a reasonably sunny day, was looking for the flash though. In the morning especially at this time of year i'm pretty sure you'd see the sky light up if it went off. Also if its set to the 10% +2 rule then you'd really have to be doing 57ish which on your speed might be 60 or more, you probably went just under the treshold assuming its even live. I once had a panic where i went over a 30 camera at 40 exactly as i honestly thought it was 40 due to coming in from a side road and the 30 repeater being behind me and the little speed camera sign was covered in brush, didn't flash luckily!

Associate
OP
Okay thanks thats made me feel a little better :) as I have been panicking like mad all morning :(

Fingers crossed! Might sound stupid but is there a number you can ring to check if you have been caught?

I mean as a new driver is being caught twice a lost license.?..because if so I will be worring about getting caught again for years now :eek:

Soldato
Okay thanks thats made me feel a little better :) as I have been panicking like mad all morning :(

Fingers crossed! Might sound stupid but is there a number you can ring to check if you have been caught?

I mean as a new driver is being caught twice a lost license.?..because if so I will be worring about getting caught again for years now :eek:

Just pay attention to the speed limits and you'll be fine!

Soldato
Within 2 years, 6 points then you have to resit exam likely. If you did get get caught you might just get a speed awarness course depending on where it happened and how much over the limit you were. Was it dark when you drove past? even slightly overcast would increase your chances of seeing it greatly as its very bright.

Soldato
This is all asuming it's a rear facing camera of course. Front facing ones don't visibly flash for obvious reasons (I think they may use an infrared flash for night vision purposes but don't quote me on that)

Associate
OP
Yes it was a rear facing camera.

Just pay attention to the speed limits and you'll be fine!

I believe am a safe driver and normally drive at the speed I think the road needs like I would not do 60 on a narrow bendy lane but would go faster than say 50 if I think it is safe to do i.e on a long straight clear road.

The road in question normally has people brake harsh to like 30 to go past it and then speed off at 70+ after /fail... imo it would be safer to just be 60 all the way as it then goes into a national speed limit anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom