looking for 2x 1TB drives

Permabanned
Hey,

I'm looking for 2x 1TB drives to go in my new NAS.

SC101T

Any ideas on what's best, they'll be in the NAS but the NAS will only be on twice a week for backups, they just need to be compatible.

Will be raided for data protection, raid 1?

Associate
Seagate: ST31500341AS

i bought 1 for my PC (which i syncronize to the NAS) and 3 for my 4-bay NAS. the one in the PC enables me to get fast access to docs and photos (for editing).

Soldato
Will be raided for data protection, raid 1?

Also be aware that while RAID will protect your data from a hard drive failure, there are still lots of other critical single points of failure. The NAS power supply or fan, the controller or software... these could leave the unit dead (even though the drives/data are sound) and recovering data will be a pain, or in the case of controller or software error, this could destroy the data even though the drives are mechanically sound.

Given that you will have a copy on the drive in the PC and a copy on the NAS drive - RAID 1 in the NAS doesn't add much additional resilience.

Associate
Given that you will have a copy on the drive in the PC and a copy on the NAS drive - RAID 1 in the NAS doesn't add much additional resilience.

That's me that has the copy on the PC and I have RAID5 in the NAS. I was suggesting that that might be a good idea along with his RAID1.

especially if it is syncronized using some app.

Back
Top Bottom